Chapter Five

Completely speechless, I stared at the god of dreams with my mouth wide open. Of course I'd suspect Morpheus. I just...I didn't actually think it was him. Why would we need to go to him for help? From what I could recall two years ago, he'd been on the side for the Titans.

I looked to my right and saw Travis and Connor bowing. My eyes widened as I realized I should be doing the same. Before I could react, Morpheus spoke.

"Someone called?" His voice raspy as if he had woken up from a deep slumber. That, or he hasn't spoken in a millennium.

I hurriedly bowed and gazed at him. We had eye contact and I suddenly felt very light-headed. His eyes were a strange color. They were icy blue, but held a gold tint in them. It sent shivers up my spine.

"We...we're here for a quest." I said, breaking out of his eye contact. It was too much to handle.

"I see. Let me freeze time first so we could talk." Morpheus said. Before I could react, the girl cashier suddenly froze, the remaining pillow fluff in the air froze, and even the scent of lavender in the air lingered more.

"Y-you can do that?" I asked.

He smiled, his eyes squinting and his wrinkles shown through. "There's a lot of things I can do, child of Aphrodite," he said. He looked over at Connor and Travis, who didn't bother looking up at him. "Let's talk in another room, shall we?"

In an instant we were transported to a silver room with white furniture. It looked so old yet so well-kept and clean. Morpheus lead us to a long table and sat down. He motioned for us to do the same, which we did.

"Now, what about this quest?" He asked.

"My father's caduceus has been stolen. Or at least, it's missing." Connor replied. I hadn't expected him to reply. The sound of his silky smooth voice, though, calmed me. It reminded me that I wasn't the only one doing this.

"And your father is...?" Morpheus questioned both Travis and Connor, although I had a feeling he already knew the answer.

"Hermes, uh, sir." Connor said.

The upper corners of Morpheus' mouth went up in amusement. "I see...your sly features and your mischievous eyes say it all."

I cleared my throat. "So...what must we ask of you for assistance of this quest?" I asked him.

Morpheus looked like he was deciding on something. I prayed that it wasn't going to be something too difficult. I doubted it, though.

"I need you to find my key, which is hidden in a labyrinth." Morpheus said.

"L-labyrinth?" Travis asked, his voice hoarse. I realized that was the first time he's spoken in front of Morpheus.

"I'm not talking about the one Daedalus made, obviously. That one has been destroyed years ago. I'm talking about the one in that room." Morpheus said, pointing to his left.

We all followed where his finger was pointing at. Sure enough, there was a pitch black door at the far end of the room. It stood out amazingly against the entire room.

"That's my storage room. I remember throwing my key to the memory box a few millennia ago, however I want it back." Morpheus informed us.

"How did a storage room turn into a labyrinth? How do you know it's a labyrinth? Have you been inside as well?" I asked.

Connor, who was at my right, nudged me. "Stop asking so many questions at once." He whispered. Oops.

Morpheus chuckled. "I haven't been inside that room for quite some time, child. As for my knowledge of the labyrinth that has been formed? I've sent a few demigods inside that have never come back. They always scream it's a maze." Morpheus answered me. "Your goal is to get through and find a silver key. It's at the center of the entire labyrinth. Just to warn you three, there are monsters and things inside there that I extract from my own thoughts. There may also be other gods, who have completely different personalities from what you know. They all act how they act in my perspective."