Past and present

Axe’s calves burned and his throat felt dry as he slowly made his way through the dry terrain. He had been on the run for a week, aiming wandering like a nomad to find a way to the north. He had no map to guide him. He had nothing but his wit, courage and the North Star to guide him on his journey north. He was tired, not having a good night’s sleep during the week in fear of getting caught.

Axe dug his hand into the small satchel Cook gave to him. His supplies were running low and he had no money with him. Axe out of sheer exhaustion fell to the ground. He had had enough. He was through with his plan of escaping to the north. Returning back to the plantation and getting flogged seemed better than dying in the middle of nowhere.  He wanted to see Henry and Cook again. Every day he felt his loneliness grow, spreading like a disease, eating away his heart.

He rested his back on the trunk of a tree, and began nodding off to sleep but kept his ears wide open for sounds around the area. Whenever his mind began to swoon and drown in the darkness of sleep, he’d awaken and look around to make sure he was safe.

Axe tried to calm himself down. He was safe. He was hiding in the middle of nowhere where no one could find him. He tried telling himself his mind was at rest; but it was in turmoil. He told himself he could get north and become a free man. He knew it was all a lie. It was nothing but a facade of lies to make him feel better. He knew the chance of him getting north without getting caught was low. Only a few made it north. Some died on the way while some returned back to their masters and took the punishment allocated to them.

Axe knew if he returned to the plantation, a sea of faces would be the last thing he’d ever see. The searing pain of the whip would be the last thing he’d feel. Death would come quickly. If he was lucky and survived, he’d bear the marks of the whip as a constant reminder of the punishment that awaited slaves if they tried running away.

Axe soon fell asleep under the tree. For the first time in a week, he wasn’t fearful of someone finding him. He was at peace with the world. If he died, he would have died a slave who fought for freedom. If he died, he would be free from everything...the slavery...the torture and the pain.

He was slowly dragged into reality when he felt the warm wet drops of rain on his skin. It was already dark and the wind was picking up. Axe cursed and stood up. He needed to find a place to stay warm. He couldn’t stay under the tree. It wouldn’t keep him dry. Rain would escape through the gaps in the leaves. He ran around the area blindly looking for shelter. He soon found one. It was a small cave. Axe felt relieved when he saw it but was hesitant to go in for fear a bear was in there. He hadn’t made it this far to be mauled by a bear.

As the rain poured harder and harder, Axe had no other choice but to enter the cave and face whatever awaited him. The cave was surprisingly empty. Axe sighed in relief. He could thank God for his good fortune but decided against it. God didn’t exist so what would be the point of praying to him?

Axe sat down and fiddled with his hands as he waited for the rain to stop. He thought of Cook and Henry as the rain pounded on the cave walls. He wondered if Cook was alright; if he was safe. Axe knew he would not know what he’d do if Cook got in trouble for aiding his escape. He’d be beaten to death in front of all the slaves. Henry too would be punished. Axe had witnessed what his father could do to him. He had seen the deep welts on the child’s back. He was the one who looked after him. Henry had survived his first round of beating by nearly a half of his life, and Axe wasn’t sure if he’d survive another round of torture. His small body would collapse under the pain.

Axe knew if he got to the northern states and became a free man, he could save Three and Maze as well. He smiled as an idea came to mind. He could take Maze with him. She was young and strong. The journey wouldn’t be hard on her. He’d later come back for Three. Axe knew she’d succumb to exhaustion along the way and die before they reached north.