Miriam

“Jack wake up. The bell just rang.” Miriam shook Jack from his sleep.

“But mamma I’m so tired.” He groaned.

“Well you need to wake up unless you’ll get a flogging.” Miriam warned.

Jack bolted upright when he heard the word “flogging.” He didn’t want to be flogged...not so early in the morning.

“I’m awake now.” He said. He kissed his mother’s cheek, grabbed his shirt and hurried out the door. “I love you mamma.” He called out as he ran outside.

“I love...” She replied but Jack had already run off “you too.” She whispered. She stood by the door staring into the endless darkness. She then went back to her bed to get ready for the day ahead of her.

“God please be with him and keep him safe.” She prayed silently.

Miriam entered the master’s house through the back door. She entered the kitchen and grinned when she saw the old woman standing by the bench.

“Good morning.” Miriam said as she took some fruit to cut for breakfast.

 “Good morning Miriam. How are you and your son?”

“He’s fine. He’s feeling especially tired today.” Miriam looked at out the window “I hope he isn’t late to start work.”

Yulana touched the young mother’s shoulder “He’ll be fine Miriam. ”

Miriam smiled “Thank you.”

Yulana caressed Miriam’s cheek “It’s fine Miriam. Let’s finish preparing breakfast.”

Miriam nodded in agreement and both women went to work.

........

Jack wiped the sweat off his brow and flexed his cramped arm in a bid to relax it. It would soon be time for dinner.

He felt lonely. All his friends had been assigned at the other end of the plantation to remove the seeds from the cotton, while he was stuck with old people. The hot sun was blazing on him burning the side of his face. He wanted to move to another location away from the searing heat of the burning sun. He wanted to go and rest under a tree.

He was so caught up in his own thoughts he didn’t notice an overseer walk behind him. He was so engrossed in his daydream he didn’t see the slaves signalling at him to get back to work. By the time he came back to reality it was too late. The sting of the whip raced across his back. Jack screamed. He fell to the ground and begged for the whippings to stop. He cried for mercy but the overseer kept whipping him. Tears poured from Jack’s eyes. The other slaves could do nothing but watch as one of their own...a little boy, was mercilessly whipped in front of them.

Jack couldn’t stop the cries from escaping his lips. He couldn’t stop writhing in pain on the earth. He couldn’t help the fact he was cowering like a fool, giving into the whip, submitting to the endless torture.

He closed his eyes as the overseer spat on him “Bastard.” He mumbled and kicked Jack in the guts. Jack lay on the dirt bleeding and broken. He had only just been thinking. What wrong was there in thinking?

He thought he was alone again. The place was silent. No one spoke. No one came to help him. He let out a loud moan and was about to sit up when he was yanked to his feet by the hair. Jack bit his lip trying not to whimper. His eyes widened in fear as he stared into the overseer’s face. The man smiled cynically “The master wants to see you.” He then forced Jack ahead of him towards the master’s house.