Despair

As the sky turned black and the cold air started settling in, Miriam began shivering from the cold. Her body was numb and the chilly wind froze the wounds on her back. She feared the dark and was more than ready to plead for release. She hated the dark, cold and brutal. It reminded her of the stories one of the slave women told her about spirits coming out at night.

Her lips started chattering. She was tired and the events of the day had worn her down. She wanted Jack. She needed him back in her arms. She wanted him home.

The air stilled. Miriam moaned and bowed her head. “Jack. Jack. My little boy. Where are you? I want you back. Come back home Jack, please come back.” The silence was haunting, almost suffocating. Choked sobs rose in her throat. Crying, Miriam began reciting Psalm twenty three slowly, hoping it would give her some strength. That’s what the pastor at their run down church once told her to do in times of trouble. Now she needed the verse more than ever. “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever...”

She began nodding off and it wasn’t long before she gave into her slumber. A beam spread across her lips as she dreamed of having Jack in her arms, singing him a lullaby. Her heart was now at rest. God was with him and would protect him.

Axe rose early in the morning and sat by the platform where Miriam stood. He wondered if she was still alive. She was limp and her head was bowed. Her long black hair cascaded her face. She reminded him of one of the carvings he had seen of Jesus on the cross. He looked down and could see the direction of her blood flow, now brown, no doubt frozen by the coolness of the night. Miriam’s dress too was crimson drenched in blood.

Axe rose and stood on the platform. He touched her forehead and lifted her chin. Her dark eyes were covered by her brown flesh and a smile lit her face. He moved his hand to her neck trying to feel a pulse beneath the cold flesh. He couldn’t feel it. Miriam was dead.

Axe began to cry like he never had before. Why hadn’t he spent more time with her when she was alive? Why was he cold to her when she took the responsibility of looking after him?

He kissed her forehead “Rest in peace Miriam.” He whispered. He removed his hand from her chin and fixed his gaze on her small lifeless body once more before walking away.

Yulana fell to the ground crying uncontrollably as they placed Miriam’s body in the earth. “God why? Why did you take her away?” She dug her fingers into the soil trying to control the anger that rose within her.  

Women hummed a burial song, their eyes downcast full of sorrow. Some were crying others stood with their arms crossed unable to do anything. The overseers stood at the watching the events unfolding before them.

Yulana stood up and picked a flower from the garden bed. She went back and sat by Miriam’s grave. “I’ll miss you Miriam. You’re at peace now. God willing, it won’t be long until I join you.” She threw the flower on Miriam’s casket as the men began covering her grave with the deep brown soil.

People soon began leaving, and it wasn’t long before Yulana realised she was all alone, sitting by Miriam’s unmarked grave. She began humming a small song of comfort her mother had once taught her a long time ago. She wished she could remember the words, but couldn’t. All she remembered was the tune. Bitter tears poured from her eyes like rain. She took another flower from the garden bed and placed it on top of Miriam’s grave.

The hairs on her arm stood still. Yulana stiffened and slowly turned around. George was standing at the distance observing her. Her eyes darkened as the thought of killing him flashed before her eyes. He was the one who killed Miriam. He was the one who sold her son years ago. He was the monster that threw Miriam’s son into the arms of another master. He was a murderer, and deserved to burn in hell for what he did.

With a sharp glance at Miriam’s grave, he left with his men trailing behind him like dogs on a leash. Yulana sighed with relief and rested her chin on her knees trying to find an escape from her misery. She jumped when she was tapped on the shoulder. She turned around sharply and exhaled loudly when she saw Henry standing behind her with a quizzical look on his face. “Are you alright Yulana?” He bent down and wiped the tears from her cheek.

“Yes, yes master I’m alright” Yulana beamed trying to ease Henry’s fear. “Are you supposed to be here?” she asked.

Henry nodded “No one will know that I’m here. Father has gone out and mother has gone to visit one of her friends. My nanny should be here soon. ”

Henry sat next to her and they both stared at the dark horizon. It was then Yulana noted it was a good night for a funeral. The silver moon was shining brightly and the stars twinkled giving small golden flashes of light in the black sky. Yulana sniffed and Henry moved closer to her to give her comfort.

“How did she die?” He asked.

“She died in her sleep.” She replied slowly.

Axe entered the master’s house and set out to work. He began by the cleaning Henry’s chamber, removing the bed spreads, packing the toys strewn all over the floor back in the wooden chest, and then dusted the room. When he finished, he was assigned to the kitchens. There he stood and watched the other slaves as they worked, taking in everything they taught him. He would have to learn quickly if he was to excel in his work.

Axe noticed a woman standing by the door watching the slaves’ movements carefully like a hawk. He guessed she was Henry’s mother because of the physical resemblance they shared. When her gaze shifted to him, Axe looked away. Her eyes were cold and sharp.

He thought of Miriam and of Jack, the mother and son who loved him but didn’t return their love. He remembered Miriam the day before she died. Her laughter had echoed in his ears drowning the crack of the whip. She had mocked the master. She had stood up to him and for the first time, the man felt powerless.

Since i love you all so much, i decided to update early. thank you so much for your support. it really means a lot. I hoped you enjoy this chapter.