Loss

Henry opened his eyes and rose from his bed. He put on his coat, took his candle and left his chamber, slowly tippy toeing across the hallway. He smiled mischievously as he thought of the look Yulana would have on her face when he gave her a birthday card. Yulana said she didn’t know the date of her birth but was but said she celebrated it on the twenty fifth day of the ninth month. When he had inquired about her age, she had replied with a laugh “I am fifty two.” She had touched her cheeks and sighed. She later mentioned something about being old.

He held the small card in his left hand, hiding it behind his back. He stopped at the kitchen door, took a deep breath and entered, excited to see the surprised look on her face. He saw her standing by the bench cutting some fruit. He sneaked behind her and whispered quietly “Happy birthday Yulana!”

The slave jumped and turned around. Henry’s heart instantly sank when he saw the woman wasn’t Yulana. “I’m sorry to frighten you.” He said apologetically. “Do you know where Yulana is?”

“No master I don’t know where she is.” The slave replied and returned back to what she was doing.

“Oh.” Henry’s heart sank. “Well goodbye. I’m sorry for frightening you.”

Henry now had the woman’s full attention. Did the master’s son apologise to her? She turned around and smiled. “It’s fine master.”

Henry smiled widely and placed the candle on the floor. “My name is Henry.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “It’s nice to meet you Henry.”

“Nice to meet you too. What’s your name?”

The woman didn’t know what to say for a moment. “My name is Ana.”

“That’s a beautiful name. I have to go but I hope I see you later. I have to go and look for Yulana.” Henry took his candle and left the kitchen.

The woman smiled and returned back to what she was doing.

Henry climbed the steps and entered the attic with the card in his hand. He sat by the window and looked out, hoping to catch a glimpse of Yulana. He felt sad because she wasn’t at the kitchen and didn’t leave him milk and cake like she always did. He sighed with frustration when he didn’t see her anywhere. He could feel panic rising in his chest but forced it down before it could take over.

He took his candle and made his way back to his chamber with a little flicker of hope burning in his chest that Yulana would be there with a grin on her face waiting for him.

She wasn’t there. Henry fought back tears as he burrowed himself under his covers. He tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t.  He didn’t know where Yulana was and it scared him.

His eyes fluttered open when something warm touched his cheek. “Yulana is that you?” he whispered.

“Yes it’s me.” Yulana eyes danced with happiness.

Henry hugged her and wiped the tears from his eyes glad she was with him. The only thing he could think of to say was “You didn’t leave me any cake or milk this morning.”

Yulana smiled and caressed his cheek. “I’m sorry about that. Tomorrow I’ll leave you a big piece of cake and some more milk to compensate for my forgetfulness.”

“Alright.” Henry smiled and hugged her again. “I thought you were gone.”

Yulana laughed “I didn’t go anywhere Henry. Don’t worry I will not leave you.”