Running scared

Axe and Cook watched as Henry grew stronger as the days passed without any drama. The mistress still ordered Axe to steal the master’s suitcase. He never listened to her, so the blows came and came. George would watch Axe from a distance as he worked with his hand curled up into a fist. Watching Axe day by day increased his hatred of slaves. His heart hardened even more when he saw Axe excel at his work and waited for him to make a small slip up in his work. He had told his men that if the Negro got in trouble, he’d be the one to whip him.

The grey clouds rolled in around the horizon at full speed that day. Axe was stationed to clean the master’s and mistress’ chamber. Although he dreaded the idea of cleaning their chambers, Axe had no say in it. It was his duty to obey commands without hesitating.

He entered the chamber and closed the door behind him. His heart pounded in fear, knowing that if the mistress knew he was in her chamber, she’d want him to take her husband’s suitcase. He removed the bed sheets from the bed and threw them onto a heap on the floor. He then went on cleaning the tables, packing clothes from the floor and placing them in their allocated trunks. The dirty ones found their way onto the heap of clothes.

As he began cleaning the shelf, he saw the blue suitcase lying on the wooden platform.

“Take it Negro. Take the case from the top shelf.” Axe spun around when he heard the mistress’ voice. Her arms were crossed and she held a Negro whip in her right hand. Axe felt his throat instantly run dry.

“No mistress I will not.” His voice came out in a croaky whisper. The mistress laughed harshly and cracked the whip. Axe flinched and stepped back as she came closer towards him. He stopped when his back hit the middle shelf.

“Take it.” The mistress cracked the whip again. Axe tried turning away but she grabbed him by the jaw so he was looking at her. “Look Negro, do as I ask. I can break your neck right now if I turn your head swiftly.” Axe’s eyes bulged out of his sockets with fear. She cracked the whip. This time it hit Axe on the arm. The searing pain zapped his skin and he felt tears sting at the back of his eyes.

She was about to hit Axe again when he grabbed the whip mid air. Harriet gasped when he swiftly turned her arm, so she let go of the rope. She lunged at him and scratched him on the face. Axe pushed her away from him, and heard a faint tear as she fell to the floor. She hit the back of her head on the side of the bed. She had torn a small piece of fabric from his shirt.

“Help me! Someone help me!” Panic shot through Axe’s body when he heard her screams for help. He was still shocked at his actions, but he couldn’t stand around. He ran out of the room and into the kitchen where he found Cook.

Cook turned when he saw Axe “What happened?”

Axe couldn’t talk. Nothing but short gasps came out as a reply. The house was soon in uproar as the mistress’ screams grew louder. Cook’s eyes darkened when he realized what had happened.  He grabbed Axe’s arm and for a brief moment, Axe thought Cook was going to hand him to one of the overseers.

“I’m not giving you to them. They’ll kill you.” Cook said firmly noticing Axe’s fear. Axe nodded and Cook began guiding him around another part of the house he had never seen before. It was dark and Cook held more firmly to his arm to stop him from tripping over in case there was something on the floor. “Stay here.” Cook whispered, and slowly made Axe sit on the cold stone floor. “Don’t move or make a sound.” He then left Axe alone in the dark and went back to the kitchen hoping his presence hadn’t been missed.