Civil Talk

I was guided by the mute maid to the hall with long bench seats made of hard stone. I look up at the ceiling where it had paintings of the eternal fire and demons in chaos. What type of hall is this? And why the hell would they need one?
I've never been to this building before though.
"Why do they have a building like this?" I ask the maid.
She looks at me with a blank face and shrugs. Maids are mortals. Mortals who have done sinning and sent here by God to atone for their sins, others are just souls atoning for access to Heaven. God is merciful. To only a limited amount of spots. I wonder what type of pitch this girl did to save herself from the eternal fire. In a way, we're both in the similar position, in the same circumstance.
"What's this place called?" I continue asking her questions.
She turns to me irritated. "Cathedral of Co-Existence."
I jump back in slight shock she responded. She had a slight accent which I could not identify, but her 'r' pronunciation is something special.
"This used to be a prison for Angels in more, primitive times. They would capture them down here and look above the ceiling to see their light fade, slowly. They would paint on the ceiling with their tears and prayed for God to save them and they did."
"God himself saved them?"
"God usually stays out of the affairs of Hell. But as he is kind, he united the kingdoms with his wrath."
"If perhaps they stayed, would they have turned into a demon?" I ask, "I know it sounds dumb but ..."
"Everything is capable of evil, madam. Demons were designed to represent that."
"Yes. But your demon is your superior. I don't think you should be speaking a lot."
The maid shakes her head and points to the glass above. "This is God's landmark. Not Hell's. I am under God's terms."
"Is God going to pay us a visit or something?" I roll my eyes.
"God does not need to visit. He sees everything and knows everything."
"He sees everything. But why haven't we seen him?" I ask.
"God is not a mortal nor a spiritual being. He is everything."
The permission to speak shows her true character. I can't blame her for dedicating her life to him but it's a bit ...
"Have you seen God?"
She shakes her head. "Only Gods can see Gods."
No one has ever seen him. We have to believe in his existence based on the accounts of other pilgrims a million years ago. Despite this, I believe in his existence. Someone must've had to create all the beings and initial order in the world. But I doubt he even cares about us. Or the ones who reside in Hell.

"Elsa!" I hear a distant squeal behind me. I turn to see my sister, Anna. She runs to me with open arms and as she jumps into me she squeezes me tightly with her warm embrace.
"Anna!" I exclaim, "What are you doing here?"
"I'm training to be a diplomat like father, but not as you know ... serious. And not with Hell." She smiles nervously.
I glare at her displeased. "Then why are you in Hell then?"
"I just wanted to see my sister. Did you not miss me at all?!" She pouts.
"We should've met in more normal circumstances. Not in an event like this!"
"It doesn't matter! I just wanted to see how you were. You leaving Hell in such an extravagant way caused quite controversy in Heaven."
"Oh. I forgot about the consequences."
"Uh- it's nothing to worry about! Nothing at all!"
"Where's mother and father?"
"Speaking to other officials from other kingdoms." She says then her eyes steer over behind me, "Oh look there's Hans!"
I turn around idly and then all of a sudden he gets down on his knees and kisses my hand. I jump back a bit and jerk my hand away from him in alarmed.
"I'm sorry if I scared you, my love." He says and bows a bit.
"Oh. N-Not at all."
Hans looks towards Anna. "May we be left in private?"
Anna nods incessantly while she slowly walks backwards.
"It has been too long. But my dear, your face has lost it's radiance since we last met."
"What do you mean?"
"Hell has done this to you. They are draining you of your light."
I shake my head. "No. It was just me being self-destructive."
"Then you must be with your kin, your natural environment."
"..."
"I regret not fighting for you more at the court. When that demon snatched you away, it must've been violating."
"I had to return to him, Hans. And who knew, if Jack never showed up I may of been dumped in the flames."
Hans smiles at me. "I am glad your intact. But it is clear Jack bringing you back to Hell was beneficial for him not for you. You're too sweet, that you allow him to use you."
"But that is why I came here. To be used. By him."
"Yes, of course. I'm glad you confirmed that. It will be easier for you to forget your time here, you have a thousand more to live." He says, "But to me I'll never treat you like a tool. I'll treat you with everything you deserve because you've endured enough."
I smile in response. "Thank you for the sentiment."
I like Jack god damn it! I wish I could shout it to his face during the whole time! It's him I'm trying to get not you! I should've stayed looking real ugly, so he would be repulsed and never mention our engagement again.
It's so strange how I never really cared about our arranged engagement and now all of a sudden I want to bury it in the ground. This is what love does to you. Ugh.
I barely know him and he barely knows me.
The concept of arranged marriage is killing me now. I questioned everything but that.
A grey hand is placed on his shoulder and Hans jumps a bit.
"Get your hands off me Demon Prince." Hans brushes off Jack's hand.
Jack playfully laughs. "You're here as a diplomat not a fiancé. Show some respect."
"Never to a swine like you."
His eyes turn fully black and turns Hans' head towards his. "Don't forget. I'm royalty 'round these parts."
Hans pushes him away. "We're protected by God. You can't abuse your power here."
"You think God will come for an insignificant Angel boy like you? Don't make me laugh."
Hans ignores him and looks at me and bows. "Forgive me, dear. I'm going to leave you because I feel repulsed by someone's presence."
As Hans is about to leave, Jack tightly grips his shoulder. "Nu-uh."
"You like insulting me don't you?!"
"Let's have a civil talk for a moment. Just the both of us." Jack signals for me to leave and I nod.