34. BULLET

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, I was smelling fresh air. Not hospital's air, or at that old, bloody room, but just the air outside. Brian decided to pick me up because Sean couldn't miss another day of school of watching over me even if it's already been known that her sister just came back from the dead or so what people thought.

          Rolling down the window of the car as my father drove back to the house, I couldn't help but wonder about school. How am I supposed to graduate when I missed months of works? Shouldn't I have been already dropped by that time? But, I was missing so do I get a free pass? What about the SATs for college? I'm pretty sure I missed that too. Oh my God, I haven't even been applying to schools I wanted to go to.

          "Hey, you listening?"

          Shaking my head as an answer, Brian repeated what he said, "I was asking if you wanted to go to your mom's grave. Sean said that you haven't been there. Do you want to make a stop over there before we go home?"

          It was eerie, having a conversation with my father normally and not getting slapped for having to talk back at him. I knew that he'd apologized over and over again right when I was still "Amelia", but I never really did say anything about whether I forgave him or not because truth of the matter is, I still don't.

          And I was still uncomfortable with having to sit near him like this, being civil, how was I supposed to go to mom and be free what to say? I haven't even read her letter to me. And I can't come to her when this hasn't been finished. I need for this to end and I finally go see my mother.

          "I'll go see her myself when I'm feeling better," I glanced at him. "But, um, can you drop me off at Alex's apartment?"

          He glanced at me for a second full of worry. "You just got out of the hospital, Sam. Maybe you want to rest for a while?"

          "All I've been doing at the hospital is sleep and rest," I answered. "I just really need to see him, right now. Can you just drop off my things at the house?"

          Without any protest, he gave in, nodding. We drove silently to the apartment without another word to one another. He would try to talk to me about some things and I would respond to it from time to time because I was still keeping this act towards them that everything was still alright.

          The truth is, I never wanted to go to Alex's apartment. I waited for him to drive off before I rode the bus and got down until I saw the unsuspecting building and walked up to it.

          Ruvée's brows were furrowed once she saw me. "Sam? Why are you here?"

          "I want to see him."

          "Who?"

          "Who else?" I shrugged. "The person who decided to keep me against my will and beat me, turn me into a pulp."

The clock was ticking. The white painted walls were almost blinding like the light. The metal chair I sat on was cold from the blasting air condition. I've been waiting for five minutes then it became thirty minutes. Still, I was kept in an isolated room.

          When the heavy metal door finally opened, I stood onto my two feet evenly, not minding the pain that I was still feeling everywhere from my body. Ruvée stood in front of me with a woman and a man by his side, observing me, probably wondering if I was dangerous or not.

          "I'm sorry for doing that," she started, her hands behind her back. It made her look professional, the boss. "I know it wasn't easy having to be in a room alone. Most trauma patients experience types of—"