4. WARNING

IN THE MORNING, I was woken up by my stupid brother shaking me awake. I jumped, thinking about the fact that I forgot to cook my brother breakfast and I hissed from the soreness of my body. "Shit, shit," I stood up, grabbing my shoes. "I'll cook some food in ten minutes. Just wait for me, alright?"

"Jesus, calm down," Sean shook his head. "I already cooked and ate. I'm just waking you up because someone's downstairs, knocking in the morning, and is talking to mom while they're eating right now."

"What are you on—" the realization immediately dawned on me and I literally felt like I could throw up, or cry, or shit myself. I didn't know which. "No."

He nodded, which I didn't want. I wanted him to tell me it was all a joke. "Travis is talking to mom. You have got to get ready and get him out because if he stays here another second, he's going to make mom think that you have a boyfriend."

Shit, shit, shit! Mom's never going to stop talking about him if she started thinking we were dating.

"Why don't you get him out, then?" I hissed.

He shrugged. "I'm going to be late for class if I stay longer than I need to."

Grabbing the pillow by my bed, I chucked it at him. He catches it immediately, throwing it back at my bed. "I fucking hate you," I whispered, flipping him the bird.

He just smiled at me. "This is your doing. Hurry up!"

I knew that in that moment, I could kill my brother, hide his body in the river, and no one would find him. But the urge to kill the boy downstairs was even bigger than to kill my brother.

Right after I showered, I didn't bother to comb my hair but I did mother caking my face with makeup just so my bruises weren't seen. I just dressed myself in my usual clothing—some jeans, a plain shirt with the denim jacket I bought from the store, and my brown leather boots that I bought for a cheap price—and ran downstairs, not minding if I fall or not.

Mom and Travis were talking like they were old friends. She was smiling at him, and he was returning the expression. As I came closer, they stopped talking and Travis stood up, going to my side. "Thank you for the breakfast and the conversation, Mrs. Alexander. I got to take Sam somewhere, if that's okay?"

Mom, unaware of the fact that I was telling her to say no with my glare, just nodded and waved. "That's fine, honey. Just make sure you take care of her."

"He's not my boyfriend," I spoke, grabbing Travis by the sleeve and pulling him to the door and opening it. "I'll be back to check on you in the afternoon, mom, okay?"

She nodded, waving at me dismissively to leave. "Yes, sweetheart. I know. I love you!"

"I love you too!" I yelled back before closing the door. When I faced Travis, he had that smirk on his face and glint on his eyes that made me want to slap him on shoulder and I did. "Do not ever come inside my house and talk to my mom like you're friends."

"Okay, first of all, ow," he rubbed the spot where I had hit him. "Second of all, your mom is nice and you were taking too long to get ready. What was I supposed to do, wait up in the car for you?"

"Yes!" I whispered-loudly, walking away from him and to his black Chevrolet. He was just laughing while we walked and it took everything in my power not to kick him in the balls.

God, he was a walking nightmare.

Travis had stopped at his house and my jaw was on the ground, staring in awe at the structure in front of me. This was one of the mansions in the area but was definitely the biggest out of them all. And if you're wondering, yes, middle-class houses like mi ne were separated from big, grand mansions like theirs.