16. M.A.

WEDNESDAY CAME AROUND sooner than I thought. We were all meeting the guys for an early dinner party for Robbie's late birthday celebration.

          As I stared at my clothes hanging at the cabinet with a robe on, someone started knocking at the door, I walked over to open it slightly but when I heard mom's voice asking me if I could let her in, I didn't hesitate to.

          Mom came inside, her hair seeming thinner now, bags under the eyes going darker, and her figure getting slimmer and slimmer. She must've known that I was about to say something about it because she shook her head and raised her brow at me, "Can you just scold me later when you get home? For now, I want to pick an outfit for this dinner party of yours."

          I shook my head. My mom really knows me well. "Okay. Although, I don't really need help mom. My clothes are mostly black. The only dress I have there is when you and Sean forced me to go shopping with him."

          And I was planning just to go with that dress since I didn't want to show up to Robbie's dinner wearing jeans and not trying at all. I maybe do not like wearing those clothes but I guess I can endure the pain of a dress for this dinner, for a friend.

          She rolled her eyes me. "Please, I know you. I'm pretty sure you didn't throw away all of your old clothes especially the dresses because I gave most of them to you."

           Fuck. I was pretty sure that she was going to find all the dresses that I had hidden away.

          Walking over to my opened cabinet, she pulled the hangers back, pulling out the first thing she saw was a yellow skin-tight dress that reached my knees and was sleeveless.

          Before I could comment at it, she scrunched her nose at it. "I don't even know why I gave you this. Yellow isn't really your color."

          "Mom!" My eyes widened, chuckling. "Insult me harder, won't you?"

          She laughed, shaking her head. "I'm just stating the truth, sweetie," she threw the dress at the bed and dug in the sea of hidden clothes again and started pulling out different dresses—blue, green, black, gray, sleeveless, long-sleeved, short-sleeved, off-the-shoulder, almost everything really.

          Before I knew it, there was a pile of dresses on my clothes. This is going to be a nightmare hiding these again.

          Then, she pulled out a dark purple dress with her brows furrowed at me. "Did you buy this for yourself? I didn't give you this."

          I shook my head. This was new and it sure looked like it too. The spaghetti straps were black, and under the dark purple lace was a black cloth, the length reached my knees.

          It was beautiful.

          Until I remembered what he said to me.

           "I like purple," he whispered in my ear. "You should wear purple and lace often, Amelia. You look beautiful in it."

          "Mom," I held out my hand and she gave it to me, her eyes filled with worry and confusion. I turned the dress around and found a tag inside, and there was something written in it.

Wear this for that dinner party of yours.
M.A.

          My hands grew cold as I stared at it.

           It's just someone who wants to scare you. It can't be him.

           How did he even get inside my house. Oh God. He can get inside my house. He can reach mom, he can reach Sean. He can hurt them. Oh my God. Oh my God.