Chapter thirty six

SleepOvers

It had been hours since Jessebelle was taken in to questioning, sheriff Keller wanting every minor detail possible to help his case

It had been hours since Jessebelle was taken in to questioning, sheriff Keller wanting every minor detail possible to help his case. It was as if she were the last nail in the coffin, the motive for FP Jones to murder that boy. But why had he waited two years, things weren't setting into place. Just a shoddy reason and a way to derail the serpents.

Bella yawned as she wandered out into the entrance of the station, having not slept since the night before homecoming. She knew Sweetpea would be waiting for her, confused and agitated from staying in a police station for so long. But she hadn't thought Jug would've come.

Reopening old wounds had left her exhausted, but the look on his face had made her forget all of it. She raced toward him, quickly engulfing him in a hug. Jughead sighed in relief, tightening his hold as if to make sure she would never leave his side again. Too many people had been taken away from him, too many people leaving him behind. But the thought of Bella being one of those people had scared him straight. And it was clear the two were so much more dependent on one another than they cared to admit.

*****

It was late when a knock shuddered against the apartment door. The twins were on high alert after Jessebelle finally spoke of what had happened to force her to leave. They still didn't know how much the Blossoms were really capable of.

"Pea." A soft and yet low voice called through, aware of how cautious the serpents were of visitors. Without hesitance, Bella yanked the door open and dragged the boy inside. Why had he walked all the way there in the middle of the night?

"Everything okay at the Andrews lodge?" She hummed, fingers gently clasping his. There was pause, a low grumble of a laugh drifting through the air before he finally spoke.

"No not really. Do you mind if I crash here tonight?" Jughead mumbled, slightly scared to wake up the brother sound asleep on the couch. In his moment of lapsed attention, small hands had found his cheeks. Bella pulled his gaze back down to her, a soft smile gracing her lips. A look she only gave to him.

"Of course, Jug. You can always stay here."

That night Bella clung to his frame as if she was his blanket, head nestled into the crook of his arm. Her soft snores littered the bedroom floor along with the mess that had collected there over time, and it was the calmest sleep she had ever encountered.
That was until SweetPea woke them up.

"What the fuck?"

A rough hand pulled Bella by the ankle from the bed and straight to the floor with a thud. If they hadn't woken up to the loud yelling from her brother, they were sure woken up by Bellas subconscious yelp.

"Pea?" Jug muttered as he wiped the sleep from his eyes, barely noticing the fuming boy glaring at him by the doorway.

"what the fuck are you doing in my sisters bed, Jones?" SweetPea retorted, losing his hold on Bellas foot and yet keeping his stance strong. The girl huffed as she kept her head on the floor, splayed out like a starfish and hoping her brother would just go away.

"Sleeping?" The Jones boy responded with a sleepy smug smile. There was a moment of silence, SweetPea trying to process the lack of fear the two had for him. And then with a huff, he took his sisters foot once more and dragged her through into the living room.

"SweetPea!" Bella shrieked, clawing at the splintering wood as she was yanked away once more.

"Jessebelle!" Her brother mimicked, stopping just short of his pulled out bed. A few thuds later, Jughead was sauntering out of the room in his vest and boxers. The two boys stood on opposite sides of the room, testosterone flooding the air like it were on an open faucet.

"You little-." SweetPea marched toward the boy, hands balled into fists and ready to attack. On instinct, Bella jutted out her leg and watched her brother smack the floor beneath him. She spared a glance at the guest, both of their eyes wide and almost laughing at the boy stumbling up from the ground.

"That's enough, you idiot." Bella moaned, diving on top of her brothers back and bringing back to his stomach. He squirmed underneath her grip, glaring at the boy who was seemingly enjoying the sibling squabble.

"What you laughing at?" SweetPea bit out, sending daggers to the Jones boy.

"You being pinned down by my girlfriend. I mean I've been pinned down by her before but under different circum-"

"Jughead, you're not helping!" Bella squawked, struggling to keep her brother down as the new words fell through the air.

"I'm going to kill you, Jones. I'm going to kill you." With a sigh, Bella realised how hard their new living arrangements were going to be.

•••

82k!