Chapter two

Ghostly memories

The doors slammed against the brick walls as PB strolled into the school hallway with a blaze underneath her dark eyes

Kids froze as they noticed their newest peer, some from fear and others from shock. But she didn't care, no she thrived on the theatrics, winking toward a freshman as she continued to pace down the hallway.

"Who is that queen bitch?" Veronica lodge narrowed her gaze to her new competitor, envy trickling into her smile as she turned to Betty.

"Huh?" Betty hummed, unaware of her old friend pushing through the crowd like a sly cat. She froze as Veronica nodded in the strangers direction, the blood in her body drained cold.

Jessabelle glared at a freshman as they stood gaumless at her, an eyebrow raised at the infant. They scurried away, leaving a clear line between Betty and Bella.

The brunette smirked, listening to the clack of her heels as she waltzed toward the blonde in soft movements.

"What's wrong betsy?" She hummed as her cherry red lip pulled under her teeth with a suction of breath.

Betty's eyes were wide as she searched for the right words that wouldn't dowse her innocent character. Jessabelles fingers wrapped around the blondes locker, a slanted brow directed at the girl.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." And with a soft and sly breath, the locker door slammed shut.

******

Pb's heels pushed against a table as she rocked on the rusted chair she had been allocated. Her eyes were closed and her head leaned back, attempting to tune out the world around her.

"Tell me the story of Jessabelle Rhodes. I am begging you." Veronica pleaded to her bubbly friend, an eye trailing over to spy on the new mystery.

Betty fumbled on the words as she watched Veronica's prying gaze, her pink lipstick fading with a slip of her tongue.

"It's a long story." Betty mumbled, hoping her new raven haired friend would drop it.

"I always have loved a good fairy tale." Veronica snickered, tapping on her table as if to signal the girl to start. Betty sighed but nodded helplessly, praying that jessabelle wouldn't hear the retelling of her tale.

———flashback———

"Jessabelle, shes a Southsider- but she was different."

Aged six and with a growing interest in all things riverdale, Pb decided to run away from her dark and dim home to a place described as far worse.

Her family, the serpents, said cowardice lingered past the tree line that separated the two sides of the town.

She was told weakness had derailed the town into a chaos she couldn't possible understand. But she wanted to.