13. The Kiss

{ The Kiss }

I stood just watching Alexandro’s face turn into a frown. I continued to stare at him, but it soon became too much for me. I averted my gaze to the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. The hold I had on my suitcase increased and my heartbeat picked up.  The room was silent for what seemed like forever and the tension was so thick, it could be cut with a butter knife.

I risked a look and thats all it took for guilt to build up inside of me. Alexandro looked hurt and I knew I was the cause for it. Though, I did not understand why he was hurting. I was the one he lied to, not him. Why was he acting like the victim here? He took a small step forward and stopped. Maybe he thought that if he came any closer that, I will snap. He didn’t make a sound whatsoever, but stared into my eyes. The ones I knew were a little puffy and red from crying. I swallowed and turned towards the bed to grab my purse.

“Please don’t…...just let me explain. That’s all I ask for,” he sounded so desperate.  I adjusted my purse on my shoulder and moved around him without a word. I felt him grab my arm in a gentle hold. I turned my head to look at his hold on me then up at his face. “Please, Marie..,” he quietly whispered.

"There's nothing to explain, Alexandro. I don't know why you couldn't just tell me the truth." My gaze was now focused on the open door. The only escape I had from the hurt.

"That's what I want to tell you. The truth. I never lied, Marie. Please just let me explain," he pleaded.

I took a breath in and looked into those amazing eyes that since day one, had me hooked in one way or another. That’s all it took for me to cave in. “Okay,” I whispered back. He released his hold on me, but did not let go. Instead, he grabbed my hand wrapping it around my own. Letting go of my purse and suitcase, I followed him to sit on the edge of the bed.

Still holding my hand, he began. “Look, I know what happened out there must have…...god I don’t even know. But what I do know is that it was all a big misunderstanding. Me and Sarah are not and I repeat, are not getting married. Someone told her that I was going to marry her, but I cleared it out with her. She understands now, okay? So please do not, for anything in the world, think I lied to you about her and I. Or that I’m lying now, because I’m not. I promise…...I don’t want to lose you. You’re too important.” I believed him. I don’t know why, but I did. I guess it was the sincerity in his voice and the truth that lay behind his eyes. What had me questioning him, was when he said I was important to him.

"Am I only important to you because of the baby?"

"No. Of course the baby is very important to me, but so are you, Marie. This I swear to you," he answered without hesitation.

The tears once again began to make an appearance. One even slipped and rolled down my cheek. Upon seeing this, Alexandro raised his free hand I wiped it away with his rough, yet soft in it’s own way, thumb. He cupped my cheek and we looked into eachothers eyes. Grey and blue/violet specked, just staring. I had not realized it until we were less than an inch apart, but we were leaning in. I could smell his minty breath as it fanned across my face. I closed my eyes as our lips touched in a gentle kiss.

We pulled away, but kept our foreheads still touching. My eyes remained closed as I listened to him speak. “Please forgive me for the misunderstanding?” I let out a small giggle. Ha, me giggling. Who would have thought? “What’s so funny?” He asked pulling away to look at me right. I opened my eyes and saw the wrinkle between his eyebrows, from his confusion.

“It’s just that, just yesterday, this morning and fifteen minutes ago, I wanted nothing but give you a good punch. Now, I’m over here kissing you,” I smiled at him. He chuckled at that, too.

“I think I know why.” he leaned in for another kiss, as did I, but we stopped when a knock came from the door. We pulled away and turned to look who it was.

Standing in the doorway, was Sarah. She had a smile on her face, but me, I knew it was a fake. I decided not to worry about it. She stepped in and cleared her throat, “I’m sorry for interrupting, but I just came to apologize for earlier.” I looked over at Alexandro to see him smiling at her, like he was proud that she apologized.

“I’m sorry.” I looked back at her, not sure what to say to her apology. There was something off. "I was misinformed about Alexandro and I. I hope there isn't any hard feelings. I really hope we could be good friends?" she continued.

I stared down at her extended hand, then back up at her smiling face. “Okay.” Being friends couldn’t hurt….right? I gave her hand a quick shake before it fell back to my side.

“Great!...Oh! Are you leaving?” she asked eyeing my suitcase.

I scratched my head awkwardly not knowing what to say. Did I still want to leave? Should I? Alexandro did clear things up, and we did kiss too. As I thought this, I kept my attention on my belongings. The sound of rain hitting the ground outside, made me look out the window and notice the once blue sky, was now replaced with dull grey clouds as the storm began. I turned to look at Alexandro who stared back at me with hope in his eyes. It better be hope for me to stay and not leave. “Even if I was leaving, it’s kind of not the best time to do it,” I said, but most of all letting Alexandro know I wasn’t going anywhere and he had convinced me to stay. Maybe I should have been a little harder to convince…...

~*~*~

The day had passed and I was now laying on my bed staring up at the white ceiling thinking about dinner earlier. I thought about how Sarah and Alexandro had seemed to forget I was even there with them. They sat Chatting and laughing, just having a good time. I, on the other hand, was just silently eating my food and feeling a little out of place. I would look between the two and notice how Sarah openly flirted with Alexandro. This had made me feel jealous, and even more because he did nothing to stop her. Did our kiss earlier mean anything? Was it just one of those in-the-moment kisses?  And what did it mean? I asked myself as I turned to look out the window to the full moon and the storm clouds that were left behind from the storm earlier.

I sighed and turned my body towards the window forgetting the ceiling and continued to think.This Sarah girl was honestly giving me a bad vibe. I was beginning to regret agreeing to being friends with her. Every time she placed her hand on Alexandro’s muscled arm, she would throw me a glance. As if knowing that this made me jealous and if I showed it, she would just lean in more and show her breasts. I smiled a little thinking back to when I would stab my fork into the piece of meat on my plate and, very unlady-like, shoved it in my mouth pretending it was Sarah’s face.

I was sure going to be putting my guard up now every time Sarah was around because there sure as hell was something about this girl I did not like. Until I find out what it is, I will be on full alert. But for now, I just needed to rest and get enough sleep in order to wake up early for tomorrow’s doctor appointment. Hopefully by the time we come back, Sarah will be gone.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Not my best chapter, sorry...