Chapter 32

When I woke up wrapped in his arms, the first feeling that overcame me was relief. There was something about being cuddled up against him that made me feel uncharacteristically safe.

Obviously I felt safe with my parents, but that was different. Even though I knew they would never let anything bad happen to me, it still wasn't the same. Protecting me was part of their responsibility as my parents.

But this was different. Joey wasn't obligated to make me feel safe. Instead, he did it out of love. I trusted him when he said that he would do anything in his power to keep me safe and secure. I couldn't think of anyone else who was selfless enough to put me before himself without asking.

After the sensation of relief eased a little, I tensed up, remembering our circumstances: we were lying on the beach at Isabella's house. I had a boyfriend. I totally disregarded him. I broke my promise to stay sober.

Talk about awful.

I quickly sat up, ignoring the pounding in my head, and rubbed my eyes. How did we always end up alone at parties? I guess Joey and I naturally drifted to each other.

"What's wrong?" Joey groggily whispered, noticing my sudden apprehension. I must have woken him by sitting up.

"Nothing," I robotically replied before I had the time to think of a proper answer. He cocked an eyebrow at me, sitting himself up, as well. "This. All of this," I admitted, motioning to the two of us lying on the blanket.

"Oh," he replied, unsure of how to console me. "Well, do you want to go back to the hotel? I'm sure they're there."

"Absolutely not," I instantly answered, practically shouting.

"Um, okay. We won't then," he uneasily responded. "Why not?"

"Like you said: because they're probably there," I confided. "I'm sure they won't be welcoming us with open arms."

"Wouldn't you rather face them sooner than later? They'll probably be less harsh if you do."

"That would be the smart thing to do," I confessed. "But I've never been known as one to make good decisions."

A mischievous grin made its way onto his face as he said, "That's my girl." He laid back onto the blanket, watching the beach for a few minutes before speaking. "So what? We're just gonna avoid them until we leave tomorrow?"

"That's the goal. Maybe we can call Jake and see if anyone's at the hotel. If not, we can sneak in and grab a change of clothes," I suggested.

Thirty minutes later, Joey and I were sitting in the back of a cab with our fresh, clean outfits.

"Stop here, please," Joey shouted to the taxi driver. Our driver obeyed, pulling over to the side of the street. We paid our fee before heading into a small, family-owned diner that Joey spotted.

After ordering our food, Joey jumped right to the point. "So are we just gonna pretend last night didn't happen or...?"

"I don't know what you want me to say," I fibbed.

"Are you saying that none of that meant anything? Nothing's changing between us?" Joey probed, obviously irritated.

"I'm dating Brandon. If I liked you, then I would be dating you."

"Your words and actions last night seem to say differently," Joey challenged, biting into a chunk of his crepe.

"I was drunk--you can't hold me accountable."

"A drunken mind speaks sober thoughts," Joey mumbled with a mouth full of food.

"It's not polite to speak with your mouth full," I jokingly scolded, attempting to steer the conversation elsewhere.