Chapter 30

"You're alive!" Ashlynn screamed as I met her by her locker. She nearly knocked me to the ground as she threw her arms around me. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too," I smiled, hugging her back. "How has school been without me?"

"The best," she teased. "How was your trip? How's Joey?" she asked with a playful wink.

I admitted, "Joey and I broke up. I'm dating this other boy named Brandon now. He's super sweet."

"How in the world did that happen?"

"We just weren't meant to be, I guess."

"When can I meet the ever-famous Joey? Or this mysterious Brandon?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Maybe soon," I hesitated. Having my two separate groups of friends clash would mean that unintentional slip-ups were more likely--and I didn't know if I was willing to take that risk.

"Hey, Em! Where have you been?" Annabel asked as she and Claire approached us.

"I was on a cruise," I smiled. As if on cue, the warning bell rang, allowing me to easily change the subject. "We should probably head to History."

While walking, Ashlynn nudged my shoulder. "We're sleeping over Claire's house on Friday. You in?"

"I'd love to, but I already have plans," I begrudgingly revealed. "I'm sorry."

"That's alright," she sighed. "I just miss hanging out with you. You're always busy."

"Can you come over tonight? I don't think I have any plans."

"That'd be great!" she exclaimed, an ecstatic smile stretching across her face. "Maybe I can finally meet Joey."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The only unusual thing that happened today was when we listened to a story in English. It was about a little boy who miraculously survived a rare disease as an infant. Unfortunately, about six years later, his sister was diagnosed with the same disease. The doctor said that the girl would be able to live if the six year old boy donated some of his blood to her. So, when the parents asked him if he was willing to do so, he happily agreed.

Preceding the surgery, the family was saying their good-byes, promising that they would return in a few hours after the children had woken up. Right as they were about to exit the room, the boy's face had paled, and he latched onto his mother's arm.

"Mommy?" he asked in a quavering voice.

"What is it, baby?" she soothed, smoothing the hair atop his head.

"Will I die immediately after? Or will I have time to see you again?"

The mother couldn't help the tears gathering in her eyes. The little boy had misunderstood her: he assumed that he was going to have to die in order to save his sister.

That five year old boy was willing to die for his sister.

My teacher's question was encircling my mind on loop. "Who would you be willing to sacrifice yourself for?"

"Are y'all ready?" Lillia asked, startling me. As she started heading towards the main entrance, Ashlynn and I followed suite.

"So, did you guys hear about what Tony--" Lillia began, cutting off her sentence when a nearby car horn sounded. We all glanced up at the source, and I instantly recognized the driver's floppy brown curls.

Within seconds, I arrived at the curb in front of my school and kissed the tip of Brandon's nose. "What are you doing here?"

"I missed you. Are you busy?" he asked, running a hand through his tousled hair.