Chapter 23

*It takes like 5 hours to write and edit this stuff, so if you could spend only five seconds to vote for each chapter, it would be much appreciated.*

Just as I had assumed, back at school I was questioned nonstop about my Halloween travels. I didn't blame them, though, because who's ever heard of a tan in November?

After school, Lillia and I went straight home because she apparently had plans. Instead of questioning her antics, I used the extra time to complete the homework I missed on Friday.

Around seven o'clock, I decided to see if Joey wanted to get dinner with me. As I crossed the road, I curiously eyed Lillia's house.

I saw a tall, lean girl with a mop of curly, red hair. Even though I was staring at her back, a shiver of recognition ran through my spine.

Without a second thought about it, I immediately changed courses and walked in her direction. A few seconds later, Lillia popped out of the house and greeted her with a hug. Lillia noticed me on the sidewalk and she waved me over.

"Hey," I greeted as I approached the two ladies. My blue eyes locked with Ariana's brown ones, and the corners of her mouth lifted into a welcoming smile.

"Oh my goodness! Emily Brazki...is that you?" she rhetorically questioned in realization. She embraced me in a tight hug that nearly stole the breath out of my lungs.

"Ariana," I gulped, forcing a smile on my face. "I didn't realize you were coming back today."

"Well, I did inform you, silly!" she retorted with a bright, cheeky grin sewn onto her face.

"Woah, wait--you two know each other?" Lillia asked, twisting her face in confusion.

"Oh, um, yeah. We're, uh, friends," I forced. Luckily, Lillia hadn't noticed my stammering.

"Yeah, we use to hang out at parties all the time! How is Penelope doing?" Ariana pried without even a trace of a devilish smirk.

"She's, uh, great," I stammered.

"Why don't you join us for dinner, Emily?" Ariana invited.

"Oh, I was actually--"

"She would love to!" Lillia cut me off, answering for me.

Without further discussion, we climbed into Lillia's car and made our way to a nearby Applebee's. But throughout the entire car ride, my head was clouded with questions: why was she so cheery? What happened to her plan of revenge?

When Lillia excused herself to go to the restroom, I promptly seized the opportunity. I practically began probing Ariana the second Lillia's feet touched the ground.

"What's up with you?" I bluntly asked.

Ariana's face contorted into a look of confusion and humor before answering, "If you're referring to my note, just know that I had a change in heart. Trust me, I would have loved to get my revenge, but the second I saw Lillia, I backed out. Nothing I could do to you would go without affecting her. And, honestly, I can't do that to my favorite cousin. I--"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. You and Lillia are cousins?" You've got to be freaking kidding me.

Ariana smiled an angelic smile before nodding and continuing, "You can stop being so hostile around me. I realize that I should have stood up for myself that night. You and Penelope didn't force me to steal--it was my own choice."