Chapter 29

"What's the first thing we get to do?" Anastasia squealed. She was rambling about how excited she was all throughout our homemade breakfast-in-bed.

"Depends...are you in the mood to stroll down memory lane or for new stuff?" my dad asked from the foot of Anastasia's bed.

"Memory lane today, new stuff tomorrow!" Ana shouted.

"Alright-y. Today we can go sledding, get dinner, and then have a movie night in a fort. Tomorrow, we can go paintballing, rock-wall climbing, and to the pottery place downtown. Does that sound good?"

"YES!" Ana screeched, running towards her closet. "I have to change! I'll meet you downstairs in ten minutes!"

My dad and I laughed as she shooed us off. I walked down the hall into my bedroom and rummaged through my closet, managing to find my old snowsuit that never failed to make me look like the abominable snowman. I layered my clothing on: leggings, jeans, three pairs of socks, tank top, long sleeved shirt, hoodie, and my black, puffy bodysuit. To top my outfit off, I added a scarf, gloves, hat, earmuffs, and my snow boots.

I waddled down the steps and entered the living room. When my dad asked if we were ready, I was surprised Ana's neck didn't cramp or fall off at the intensity of her nod.

After our hour long drive, we parked and hiked up the enormous hill. This sledding hill was the biggest one in the area because it used to be a garbage hill. When my dad was a kid, they planted some grass over it and let them sled on it. Hence, Mount Trashmore was created.

When I was little, my dad made it his mission to go sledding every weekend. One time, we even stayed at a nearby hotel so that we could dedicate the entire day to sledding.

"On your mark, get set... GO!" My dad yelled, launching himself down the hill. Anastasia sped down a second later, and I pushed myself down afterwards.

When we reached the bottom, Ana erupted into a fit of giggles. "No fair, Daddy! Can we go together next time?"

"Of course, pumpkin," my dad answered, dropping a kiss on her forehead. "Let's head back up."

Ana walked back up the hill, hand-in-hand with our dad, and I lingered for a moment, staying behind to examine Anastasia. She looked the happiest I've seen her since my dad left.

"C'mon, Emily!" Anastasia called, motioning for me to follow her.

For the following few hours, we took turns sledding together. We must have gone up and down Mt. Trashmore at least fifteen times.

While waddling back towards the car, I nudged Anastasia with my elbow. "Did you have fun?"

"Yeah! This was the best day of my entire life!" she exaggerated. I couldn't help but smile at her words--she rarely got the opportunity to gush like a little kid.

"Emily," Ana addressed, poking my arm. "My legs feel like they're going to fall off."

"So do mine! They feel like jelly," I laughed. "Do you want a piggyback ride?" I knew that if our dad were with us, he would have offered. Unfortunately, he left with our sleds a few minutes ago so he could pull the car up to the front.

"No! If you can barely carry yourself, how are you supposed to carry me, too?" she teased.

"Oh, shut up and climb on," I smiled, crouching low to the ground. Although she was right, I wasn't going to let her know that. We only had another fifteen minute march in the six inch snow. That shouldn't be too bad, right?

Wrong. After only a minute, my legs were on fire and beginning to wobble. Instead of lowering Anastasia to the ground, though, I picked up the pace and tried to lessen the distance between us and the car. After what felt like an eternity, we finally arrived to the car. I dropped Anastasia onto the ground and opened the door for her.