Chapter 20

Right as I finished packing for the Halloween party in Miami, I felt a pair of palms drape over my eyes as a husky voice asked, "Guess who?"

Turning around with a grin, I met my lips with his.

It took me a few seconds to remember that we were standing right in front of the front door, giving anyone who walked through the door a clear view of us.

"Joey, wait," I said breathlessly, breaking away from our kiss. "My mom's going to be home soon."

Without saying a word, Joey lifted me up and carried me upstairs. As soon as we reached my bedroom, he delicately shoved me against the wall opposite the door. Without wasting any time, we began to kiss again, exploring each other's mouths.

In the midst of our heated kiss, I heard my front door open and close. Perfect timing.

I let out a breath of relief just as I heard a gasp. Joey and I broke free from our kiss, turning our focus to the figure standing in the hallway with an agape mouth.

I should've closed the door.

I immediately jumped out from Joey's grip and walked towards her, my mind whirling in a million different directions. "Lillia, I--"

"Oh my God," Lillia whispered, slowly backing away from us.

"I can explain," Joey quickly blurted, running towards her.

A few tears welled in her eyes as she let out a humorless laugh. "Ha, I'd like to see you try."

"Do you really have a crush on me, Lillia?" Joey asked.

"What kind of question is that?" Lillia scoffed, breaking eye contact. "Of course I do."

"Really?" Joey rhetorically asked in a gentle tone. "Have you ever thought that maybe you only like me because that's what everyone has been telling you?"

Lillia's expression softened as she considered his words. As if trying to convince herself, she whispered, "I like you, Joey. For real."

"I'm so sorry but..."

"Don't apologize," she muttered, rolling her eyes. "I can't force you to have a crush on me."

"I really didn't want you to find out like this," I replied, biting my lip.

Her eyes froze into a cold, hard stare. "You have to tell Jake."

"Maybe Joey should do it, being his best friend and all," I suggested, my cheeks tinted pink.

"No, you have to do it," Lillia persisted.

"Fine, I sighed. "I'll do it."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Plastic cups scattered everywhere, random couples dispersed around the house, a fight or two here and there, and unacceptably loud music. The scene was all too familiar.

The only different about this party was the excessive lack of clothing. The house was swarming with teenage girls flaunting Halloween costumes that were anything but modest. Lillia and I fit right in, too, with our kitty costumes.

Before we could get too far, Penelope yanked my arm and yelled to my friends, "I'm borrowing Emily for a minute," before dragging me aside. When we were alone, she revealed a magazine cover to me. My eyes widened in surprise before I snatched it from her and folded it in half.

a picture from the art gallery's grand opening.

"Where did you find this?" I hissed.

"I saw it as I was leaving the airport," Penelope hushed, burying it in a random drawer. "You better make sure Lillia and Jake don't see it."