Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Riley’s POV

“How did she get Black Blood in her!?”

“Through me. Mason attacked me the other day with a dagger full of it.”

“He attacked you?”

“Look, she’s awake now. We’ll talk about this later. I think you should go before she gets angry again.”

I heard shuffling and a door slam shut before I felt a warm hand on my cheek, thumb skimming my bottom lip. “You might as well open your eyes now. Once your snoring stopped, I knew you were awake.”

“I don’t snore.” I snapped at him, but I did as he said and immediately met his green eyes. A grin touched his lips. Noticing how close we were, I moved away from him and against the headboard of the bed I was on. I looked around and realized I wasn’t even in my dorm room. I was in his.

Adam shot his hands in the air, showing innocence. “Don’t freak out, Riley.”

“What am I doing in your room?!”

“You fell asleep.” He told me calmly.

Suddenly, everything that happened the night before hit me hard. How I was screaming at Josh, then sending him flying into his car. Then how I almost killed Adam and the kiss we shared.

I touched my lips as I recalled it. “You kissed me.”

He chuckled. “It didn’t seem like you were complaining too much.”

I didn’t laugh, just looked at him levelly. “Why did you kiss me?”

He let out a sigh. “You were ready to kill us, Riley. What did you expect me to do?”

“Well, I didn’t expect you to kiss me!” I nearly shouted. “What about Liz?”

He frowned, his mood changing dramatically. “We’re having…problems.”

“So, since the both of you are having problems, you think it’s okay to go around kissing other girls?” I exclaimed angrily just as he flew across the room and crashed into his desk, breaking it into pieces. I grabbed ahold of my hair and pulled at it in irritation. “Why do I keep doing that? I keep hurting everyone I care about! I hate it!”

I curled into myself and started to sob. I’d hurt Casey, Josh, and now Adam. Twice. What is wrong with me? A day ago, I didn’t even know how to use my powers. A day later, I’m using it and can barely control it.

Adam climbed to his feet, scratch free. As he made his way towards me, the desk quickly started to reassemble itself.

I watched the desk completely recreate itself and settle back in its place before meeting Adam’s gaze. “How did you do that?”

He got on his knees in front of me at the foot of the bed and grinned. “I taught myself. It took a long time, but after breaking stuff a lot, I got the hang of it.”

He grabbed my hands and entwined our fingers. I felt my stomach fill with butterflies, my anger and confusion instantly dissolving. “All of this is not your fault. It’s mine. I’ve been injected with something called Black Blood. Not a lot though. It can be removed with magic, but slowly in small doses. You and I are connected, sort of linked together. So, the Black Blood must have hit you too.”

I furrowed my brows. “What’s Black Blood?”

“It’s evil blood. Straight from Lucifer himself. If injected with it,” Adam lifted a hand and pushed back a lock of my hair behind my ear. “Even the most good of witches can be turned.”