Chapter 7- Nurses' Office

Chapter 7

Josh’s POV

I was lying on my back on my bed, cleaning under my finger nails with the knife, when Derek walked into our dorm. I didn’t even bother to look at him.

“Why didn’t you show him the knife?” He asked me. “I thought we agreed to.”

“I was until he pissed me off.” I mumbled. “Besides, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

“I really think you should show him. It could mean something that we don’t know and he does.”

I sat up and stared at him. “He doesn’t have to know if I don’t want him to, okay?”

“What is wrong with you?” Derek suddenly snapped at me. “Eversince Riley came here, you’ve been completely out of it. You’re not usually this angry all the time.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Whatever.” He ran a hand through his hair and chuckled without humor. “I’ll see you later when you’re not acting like an asshole.” He said and walked towards the door, slamming the door shut after him.

I laid back down against my bed and stared up at the ceiling. He’s wrong. I haven’t changed since she came, rather I see more clearly since she came. I don’t trust Adam anymore.

I squeezed the handle of the knife in my hands in thought. He’s not the one whose supposed to protect us. He can’t be if we don’t even feel anything from him. And eversince Riley came, it proved that she can’t be either.

Nothing feels right anymore.

Riley’s POV

I slowly opened my eyes and quickly shut it because of the bright light. I rubbed at them before fully opening them to see Derek at the foot of my bed.

“Derek?” I murmured.

“Hey.” He smiled, his face turning a bit red. He was adorable.

“What are you doing here?” I sat us so my back was against the backboard of the bed.

“To check on you.” He told me. “You feeling okay?”

“I think.” I winced when I tried to move my arm. It still hurt like crazy. “Where’s Adam?”

“He and Liz went to class.”

I frowned to myself when he mentioned them both, but couldn’t understand why. “Do you know what happened to me?”

“It was another witch. She tried to kill you with a voodoo doll.” He explained.

“A voodoo doll?” I brought a hand up to my necklace and apprehensively tugged at it. “What—“

“We stopped her.” He assured me. “That’s all that matters.”

“Who’s ‘we’?”

He shrugged. “Josh and I.”

I smiled at him. If it wasn’t for the both of them, I’d probably be dead by now. “Thanks.” I have to remember to thank Josh as well.

“No big deal.” He grinned sheepishly. “You protect us and we protect you. It’s the least we can do.”

I furrowed my brows in confusion. “I protect you?”

“Wait…Adam hasn’t told you anything yet?” He asked.

I shook my head. “What exactly is he supposed to tell me?”

Derek pressed his lips together and started for the door. “I think you should ask him that. He’d probably be angry if I spoil it.”