Chapter 12: Heading Home

Chapter 12

Riley’s POV

“What happened to him?” Derek asked me as he threw his arm over his shoulder. I struggled to put Josh’s other large arm over mines as well.

“He’s drunk.” I told him simply.

The both of us walked him into the boy’s dormitory and straight into their room. After dumping him onto his bed, I looked up at Derek. “He talks a lot when he’s drunk.”

“Did he say anything to you?”

“About Mason, about me, everything.” I admitted. “Why couldn’t you guys just tell me at the very beginning? If one of us were in danger or me for that matter, I’d deserve the right to know.”

He sighed and took a seat in his bed. “Adam didn’t want us to.”

“Does Mason know that I’m still alive? Is that why I was attacked twice?” I asked.

“We don’t know. Somehow the first witch had your blood and a human tried to attack you.” He explained. “Either he knows and he’s playing with us or it’s pretty hard for him to kill you.”

I pursed my lips. “Why would it be hard? I have no idea how to even use my powers. I didn’t even know someone was after me until tonight.”

Derek frowned at me. “You said that you think something was persuading Daniel to hurt you?”

I nodded. “The voice told him to kill me and he listened. It was weird.”

“Did anything look odd about him? Was he wearing weird clothes? Holding something?” He asked.

I shook my head. “Nothing out of the ordinary. All he had was the knife he stabbed me with.”

Derek’s eyes widened. “Knife? Can you remember what it looked like?”

I furrowed my brows. “Maybe…if I saw it again.” I paused when he turned away and started to dig around in one of the cabinet drawers. “But I was barely focused on how his knife looked like. I was only focused on what he was planning to do with it.”

He pulled out a couple sheets of paper and handed it to me. I took it from him and looked them over. My eyes roamed over the intricate gold colored designs. These were the designs on the knife. I couldn’t help but find the designs beautiful and scary at the same.

“I made extra copies just in case. That’s the picture I showed Adam that caused him to freak out like he did.” Derek said. “I researched everything and couldn’t find a single thing about it. From how he reacted, Adam apparently knows what they mean.”

“It must be something bad. He had tried to kill Josh over it.” I replied. “What do you think it means?”

“Probably something to do with Mason.” He shrugged. “But where’s the knife now?”

“I think the cops have it. You know, for evidence.” I told him and touched my neck where the necklace Mr. Morris had given me used to rest. I hope he won’t be angry at me. “Just like they took my necklace.”

“At least we know no one will touch it for now.” He sighed. “I just wish Daniel didn’t have to be the one to die because of it.”

“Me too.”

Derek stared at me. “For now, until we figure this all out, I want you to stay away from Adam. There’s a reason he didn’t admit anything about the knife and until we find what reason that is, he’s not safe to be around.”

I reluctantly nodded. Part of me wanted to believe Derek and listen to his warning, but another bigger part of me trusts Adam.

He wouldn’t hurt me.