Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Riley’s POV

“I found her. Yeah. She’s fine, she’s fine. As soon as she wakes up, I’ll bring her back.”

I shifted in the bed I was on. When I couldn’t try to sleep any longer, I opened my eyes to find Josh pacing in front of me. He was still talking on the phone and I don’t think he realized I was awake yet. His hair was a mess and his clothes looked dirty and wet. Mines must look the same too because I was running…

Realization flooded through me heavily. Mr. Morris is dead. He’s gone. I snapped a hand to my mouth to cut off the sob that tried to leak out. It’s all real. I’d never see him again. He’s really gone.

I turned back to Josh just in time to have his eyes meet mine. Without even saying goodbye to who he was talking to on the phone, he slipped it into his pocket and made his way towards me. “Riley?” He asked, crouching down until we were face to face. “Did something happen?”

“He’s dead.” I managed around my hand. Another sob followed after that and I couldn’t stop it.

I hugged Mrs. Pollard as tightly as I could. I’d missed her and truthfully, hugging her help a little with the grieving for Mr. Morris. He was loved by her and every child here at the orphanage. And I’m sure hugging me let out a little of her own grief.

She still looked the same too. It hasn’t been too long since I last seen her anyways. She was just as relieved to see me too.

I felt eyes bore into my back and remembered that Josh was in the room.

Mrs. Pollard had noticed me when they were pulling Mr. Morris into the ambulance. Josh told me that she had let the both of us stay overnight until I woke up. She was sure I was just in shock.

I reluctantly pulled out of her embrace and grabbed Josh’s arm. “Mrs. Pollard, this is Josh. He’s a really good friend of mine.”

Mrs. Pollard smiled and gave Josh a warm hug. He hugged her back awkwardly and I couldn’t help but let out a small laugh. “Any friend of Riley’s is a friend of mine.”

“Likewise, Mrs. Pollard.” Josh returned with a smile.

It was hard to put on a smile for what I had to say next. “I’m sorry, but we really have to go. We have to get back to Josh’s house.” I told her. “Are you holding a funeral for Mr. Morris in town?”

She nodded sadly. “I’m sure he would have loved to be buried in the town he loved.”

“Of course.” I said in understanding.

Mrs. Pollard pursed her lips and glanced behind her. She shut the kitchen door quickly. “I’m sorry about that. Just making the sure the little ones are still asleep. I have to tell you something about Walter.” She said. “He’s been acting strange. Sort of cautious. A couple of weeks ago, I asked what was wrong with him and he told me that a boy named Adam came to him and now he’s in danger. The doctors said he died from a heart attack, but he was absolutely healthy. I don’t think it was an accident.”

My eyes widened when she mentioned Adam’s name. He’d known Mr. Morris when I had mentioned him. And I was stupid enough to tell Adam where he was. The Shadow witches have been after me ever since I came to the college. “When exactly did Mr. Morris tell you this?” I asked, hoping what I was thinking wasn’t true.

I could literally feel Josh stiffened beside me and gripped his hand tightly so he’s know he needed to keep his mouth shut.

“About 2 months ago.”

Guess what? Adam’s back. I just called him before class. He was missing all day because he was visiting his uncle in Massachutes.

That’s what Liz said Adam told her. He was in Massachutes alright. But he wasn’t visiting an uncle. He lied and because he came to Mr. Morris, he’s dead now. He led the Shadow witches right to one of the people I care about the most. He had to have known that too.