Chapter 25: Wings

A/N: Alright, my darlings. Here we are, the end of the line. the last chapter. before you read it, i just want to say thank you, for sticking through this story, for staying with Camilla through 25 chapters. it means a lot to me. Here we go, friends: THE END

~A2V~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Barnes!" Nat shouted, "Barnes, what's happening?" no reply. She looked at Tony who was still trying to hack into the system with her.

Then she noticed Diana had gone stock still. They were in Pepper's office, Natasha using the main computer, while Tony was using a hologram tablet. Ever since Steve, Clint, and Bucky left to rescue Valkyrie, all Diana did was pace, and prance around. At one point she got so agitated, they had to let her out of the office. But now, she sat beside Natasha, still as a statue. Nat could swear the dog wasn't breathing. Then Diana let out a blood-curling howl. It put both Natasha's and Tony's hairs on end.

"No," Nat muttered, tears stinging her eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a small beach house in Hawaii, Andrea Martinez sat on her bed, waiting for Knight, her large Tibetan mastiff, to come back inside from the balcony attached to her room. She noticed he had stopped pacing, and, slipping out of the sheets, she walked over to him.

"What is it, boy?" she asked as Knight stared into the horizon.

The large dog just looked at her, and gave her a small, gruff woof, then continued gazing out. She patted his head and stood to go back inside when Knight suddenly put his two front paws on the railings and sniffed the air, his ears perked up. Andy watched him closely, and then a few seconds later, Knight began whimpering like a wounded animal and cowered over to Andy.

"Knight, what is it?" she asked, crouching down and scratching his ears, trying to make sense of it all. The dog just whimpered again, like he had been wounded and nuzzled Andy's hand.

"No," Andy whispered, her voice cracking as her tears spilled. They both knew, somewhere out there, Camilla Valentin, The Valkyrie, was dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes sat in Steve's apartment's living room, toying with the wing pendants he held in his hands. It had been three months since Val's death, and yet he remembered it like yesterday.

James rushed to her side, "Hey, hey," he murmured, "Stay with me."

"I can't believe you thought I'd kill you," Val accused, trying to smile, but the blood coming from her mouth ruined it. She coughed, spitting out blood.

"Thanks, by the way," he smiled at her.

"I love it when you smile, Bucky," she whispered, lifting her hand to rest it on his chest, where she knew her pendant would be, "You promised, remember?"

"Which one, sweets?" he asked, trying to hold back the tears as he heard the jet lower a ladder and Steve jumped out, covering their backs.

"An..." she stuttered, "And..." she didn't want to say her name, so that she would still be safe. Her eyes pleaded for him to remember.

"Yes, love, I remember," he whispered, "I remember. But you'll be there to help with that, right?" he said hopefully.

Val smiled sweetly at him, "Diana, too, ok?"

"I promise," he said, this time he let the tears fall. Even if they sped to the nearest hospital, she was bleeding out too much to get there in time.