Chapter 3: Hey, Soldier

The Valkyrie surveyed the cityscape at the top of Stark Tower, she put on the leather jacket she brought and started to look at the sky. “Where are you, Soldier?” she whispered to the wind, then shook her head ruefully, crouched down on the rooftop, and started reading James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes’ file for what could be the hundredth time. She didn’t even really have to read it anymore; she had memorized it all already. Val sighed, it was like HYDRA all over again, but this time at least she was bringing him back to people who actually cared about him. She checked the tablet Tony gave her; it had all the recent sightings of James Barnes. They were pretty scattered, like he was looking for something but couldn’t find it. The Captain and Black Widow said they’d checked all known places from Bucky’s childhood, but some of these places weren’t part of those.

Val whipped out her mobile phone and called Stark, “Tony, yeah, it’s late, but do you think you could forward all of The Winter Soldier’s kills in New York, along with their locations and dates to me?”

“Thanks, handsome,” she smiled as Tony acquiesced. Three seconds later, the tablet lit up with a notification. She opened the message and pulled up both the map of recent sightings and the map with the information she asked for. She was right: he was visiting his kill sites.

“Ah, Soldier, don’t torture yourself,” she mumbled as she checked which ones hadn’t been visited yet. There were two sites that hadn’t been visited yet, both really close to each other. Flushing Meadows, New York the file read.

“Natasha,” Val spoke into her phone as soon as The Widow picked up, “I need eyes on Flushing Meadows. I think he’s been visiting his kill sites.”

 She needed to steel herself for when she got face to face with James again. This was not going to be pretty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You had eyes on him and you let him go?” Valkyrie was furious, “What the hell, Barton.”

“You told me I couldn’t kill him!” he responded as they sprinted on the rooftops after James Barnes.

“Don’t you have a net-thing-arrow in there?” Valkyrie asked before she gestured for him to split up.

“Whatever, Angel.” Clint said as he sprinted away, bow and arrows slung over his shoulder.

“Natasha,” Val said as she contacted Nat through their intercom system, “You’re boyfriend’s slacking.”

“Not my boyfriend,” Nat replied from Stark Tower, “He’s turning left, Val, your left.”

“On it,” Val said, “Tell the Hawk to pack up and head home to you, I’ll take it from here.”

“I heard that,” Barton replied, “You sure you got this?”

“I got this, Marksman, go.” Val replied as she jumped from the roof of one building to another. “Where, Nat?”

“You’re losing him, Val.” Nat replied, “He’s gaining ground.”

“Damn it,” Val cursed as she took off her jacket, underneath was a backless gray halter top, “Nat, I’m going to have to do it.”

“Do what you got to do, Valkyrie,” Nat replied.

Val crouched and fastened her boot buckles a little tighter; she placed her hands on her legs and started scratching the denim jeans with her nails. A splitting pain ran down her spine and she groaned as she felt the skin at her back tear, it had been a while since she’d done this. She let out a yelp of pain as two jet black angel wings erupted from her shoulder blades. Breathing heavily, she stood up, rolled her shoulders and spread her wings, stretching them out to their full length.