Chapter 18

The next morning was calm. It was as if our previous camp hadn't been overrun and we lost a few people. 

Matt had found some cereal in the pantry, so we had dried fruit loops for breakfast, along with some apple juice that managed to survive without the refrigerator working. Once we had all eaten the whole box, we started piling as much food we could into bags. The pantry had a lot of plastic bags, so that was where most of the food got put into, going into the bed of the truck after. The blankets and pillows also joined in with the food. 

Once we had all we could find, we were doing one last sweep of the house. The door to the basement was locked. Matt brought the crowbar back in and broke it open before slowly making his way down the stairs, a flashlight in one hand and the crowbar in the other as a weapon. Carl and I followed after him, flashlights and our own weapons at the ready. 

Moving down the stairs slowly as to not fall, we eventually reached the bottom and got a good look around. The basement had been finished and separated into two parts, one of the parts being split by a wall with a door. The part we were in had a pool table in the center, the items needed to play it was on shelves on the wall. There was a tv hanging on the wall to the other half of the basement, and two bookshelves were put on the floor sideways to make a place to put movies. The walls were covered in stuff I would call 'dude-bro' items, such as posters of sports teams and their jerseys and vinal records. In the last corner across from the stairs was a gun rack, only missing two and a little bit of ammo, leaving the rest of the cabinet full. 

Carl lowered his weapon when his eyes landed on the cabinet, "It's our lucky day." 

The three of us hurried to the cabinet, Carl and Matt took a look at it while I held the flashlight up for some lighting. To our disappointment, it was locked. Carl took a step back, seeming to read Matt's mind as Matt swung the crowbar at the glass. The glass cracked, giving the effect that the glass was designed with a spiderweb look to it. He swung it again and this time the glass shattered, the glass raining down on the floor and inside of the casing and onto the ammo that was piled at the bottom. 

With a look of glee, Matt started grabbing the guns and piling them into Carl's arms, soon enough turning to me to give me the ammo. Once the cabinet was picked clean, we headed for the door leading into the other part of the basement. The door was unlocked as we went in and looked around. Matt shined the flashlight around and on one wall, I made Matt double back. On the wall was quick a lot of candy. I grinned stupidly, "Bingo." 

I made Matt grab as much candy as he could before heading back upstairs. 

Once upstairs, we loaded the rest of our haul into our car. Everyone piled into the truck; Matt had joined Emily in the cab, booting Mac to the back seat (not wanting her to ride in the bed), while Carl and I hopped into the bed of the truck and managed to settle down among all of our stuff. 

Dead DaysOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara