Chapter 9

I stared at Beth as she tucked the small gun she just used to shoot a little girl into the back of her waistband before getting back into the bed of the truck.

I snuck a glance at Carl, a look of sadness and anger in his face; the look of someone who just lost a child.

Once I got up, I grabbed Mac's arm and ushered her back into the back seat of the car. She had the look of horror on her face as I did my best not to let her see the dead body of what could possibly have been her best friend. Or only friend.

I awkwardly stood to the side as Matt went to the back of the car and opened the trunk, starting to dig through it. He eventually pulled out a white bed sheet before laying it on the ground. I watched as he picked up the little girl's body and gently place it on one end of the cloth and began wrapping her up into a little cocoon.

He just picked her up before moving her to the side of the road. Once he had chosen a good little plot, he set her to the side before coming back to get a shovel from the back. What all did he have in there?

He began digging a little, shallow grave. Once he had a good hole, Carl finally moved and helped Matt lower the small body-shaped cocoon into the hole.

Carl had grabbed the shovel and began shoveling dirt back into the hole; Matt had grabbed some rope and two small sticks and began making a little cross.

I had decided to do something, going into the trees to find some flowers. Once I had come back, the grave was done and everyone but Beth had come to mourn.

I placed the flowers at the head of the grave, Mac shoving her small hand into mine. I guess after saving her life, this little girl had come to really like me.