Chapter 2

I made the rest of the way down in the dark staircase, having to use my flashlight. Quietly making my way through the lobby, I rather quickly made my way to the front doors of the lobby. 

One of the doors was shattered, glass laying all over the ground inside. It looked like it was broken in. 

Gripping my ax closer, I stepped outside. Outside was worse than the lobby. Inside there was just trash and a few chairs and tables tipped over here and there; outside was a whole 'nother story. There were trash and bodies everywhere. Cars were just left in the streets, a few of them had been crashed, either into other vehicles or buildings. I guess I was lucky one didn't crash into my apartment building. 

I slowly and quietly started making my way down the street, doing my best to avoid any infected that was limping around. I snaked around any cars that were in the way, doing my best to not get the attention of the infected; I still wasn't sure how to kill them. 

It took maybe about twenty-thirty minutes to get to the store on foot. I stood a good few yards from the open door. I was kinda nervous about going in, it most likely being very dark in there and I had no clue what was in there. 

I took one last look up at the big blue and yellow sign in the middle of the two main doors before making my way to the closest one, which was labeled GROCERY. The first set of doors were pretty much shattered, so I just walked through the giant door. The second set of doors didn't open for me as I expected, so I propped my ax up on the wall nearby and wedged my fingers between the two doors and pulled on one side. At first, it didn't move, but after a few seconds, it started moving with a loud squeal. 

Almost as soon as I stepped in, I was surrounded with darkness. I fished my flashlight out of my bag before going any further. 

I continued through the large building, flashlight in one hand and my ax in the other. The smell of rotten produce was so bad that I had to breath through my mouth while trying not to throw up. At some parts, I had to hold my breath the smell was so bad. 

I made a beeline for the canned goods, the smell of the rotten food not as bad near it. I started shoving cans into my duffle bag, not really caring what exactly the food was. The bag was almost full when I heard the sound of a can being kicked, or maybe it fell off a shelf. I'm not sure. 

I went into full alert, putting down the can I had in my hand and picking up my ax. I shined my flashlight down the aisle and saw an infected. And I had the attention of said thing.