Chapter 16

The truck continued on. The trees had eventually started to thin out, the trees soon got replaced by houses surrounded by farms and ranches. We went past quite a few houses before the truck slowed to a stop. I remained where I was in the bed as Carl and Matt got out and met Emily on the road. 

I just listened to the three adults conversation. Matt was suggesting we continue on, but Carl thought it was a better idea to break into one of the farmhouses and collect ourselves. Emily agreed, saying it was better to continue on once we have supplies to actual survive continuing on. I agreed with them once everyone was back in their spot in the car. 

Emily started the car back up and continued down the road, not long after she turned onto another, bumpy, road. The three of us in the back had to hold on as to not fly out whenever we hit a pothole. 

The car soon rolled to a stop up by a white, two-story house. It was a pretty nice farmhouse. Everyone piled out, Emily and the kids staying closer to the car while Carl and Matt went towards the front porch and up to the door. Matt tried the doorknob to find it locked; Carl made an 'I could have told you that' retort. Matt ignored him before going back to the car and pulling out a crowbar after looking around. I just watched as he went around the house, looking for a good way in before just coming back to the front door. He propped the crowbar between the door and the wood next to it before trying to pry the door open. The door let out a groan before popping open, the lock on it now broken. 

He handed the weapon to Carl before coming back to us, "We are going to check out the inside and make sure it's safe." 

I stepped up, "Let me come help." 

He shook his head, "No. You stay here with them." He seemed to be thinking, "Um, stay here and protect them, yea?" 

I stared up at him. Was he really pulling off the 'here's another job that makes you feel important so you can't come with us into danger'? I made a pouty face and crossed my arms, grumbling a "Fine" under my breath. I went and rejoined Emily with the kids. 

We stood there, shuffling our feet in the dirt as we stood under the sun for Carl and Matt to come back. It felt like we were standing there forever, but they eventually came back out and beckoned us in. Emily and I led the kids through the door. Blankets and pillows had been moved into the living room, the coffee table being moved to the side to make room for this sleeping area. After getting a closer view of the sleeping area, I noticed mattresses had been dragged out and placed under the piles of blankets and pillows. 

Carl turned to Emily, "We found two kids rooms, it looked like the older one was a boy about Mac's age and the daughter was about Sophia's size. We could probably use their clothes if the kids wanted them." He then turned to me, "Also seemed like they had a teenage son if you want to take a look in there as well." 

I gave a nod and started to head upstairs, Emily gathering the kids and following me up.