Chapter 7

I had woken up to screaming. And gunshots.

I would love to say that this was the first time, but no. But this is the first time that it sounded so close though.

I jumped out of my dark green sleeping bag and shoved on my boots and jacket, grabbing my bag and ax as I shoved my way through my tent flap. I ran into a horde of the infected, having somehow found us.

I was temporarily blinded from sunlight. I was confused until my eyes adjusted to the light, allowing me to see one of the giant loading bay doors open all the way. I looked around and saw people everywhere, most of them with discolored skin and blood covering them and their clothes; some were even missing entire limbs or had their innards spilling out of their torsos.

While I was taking in the scene going on in our little campsite, I was suddenly knocked off my feet. I felt my ax fly out of my hand as I heard it as it went clattering onto the ground, away from me.

I put my attention back onto what was on me, trying to keep it away from me. I heard the clamping of teeth, instantly knowing I was being pinned by an infected. I knew no one would be able to save me this time, they're all trying to save their own butts.

I quickly looked around me, trying to see what I could use to save myself. I saw a few cans, one of the food and water filled baskets having been knocked over.

Keeping one arm to keep the infected from chewing on my face, I reached out with my right to get the can of corn. It was just out of reach, but I guess I was in luck as another infected accidentally kicked it a bit closer. I closed my hand around it and brought it down on the head of the infected on top of me. The initial impact caused the can and the skin on the infecteds head to break, a mixture of corn juice and blood started to spill onto my face. I just closed my eyes and mouth, tilting my head to the side, and continued hitting the thing.

Eventually, the infected fell limp on me. I threw the can to the side before pushing the infected off of me. I sat up and wiped my face with my sleeve, looking around for my ax.

The moment I saw it, I jumped up and made a run for it. Just as I was almost to it, I had my feet knocked out from under me once more, having tripped over the feet of another infected. My chin connected with the floor as my vision going hazy for a moment before I scrambled onto my hands and knees and continued crawling to the weapon. Once I had it in my reach, I grabbed it and swing it around. I went onto my bottom as it went flying into the head of the infected I had been tripped by, having gotten its attention. Once the ax was embedded a good inch or two in its head, it just crumbled to the floor.

As I sat on the ground staring at the now dead infected, I did my best to regain my breath. I did a quick look around myself, hearing screaming. My eyes landed on Mac. She was slowly backing away from an infected while attracting the attention of more.

I jumped up and ran through the sea of bodies, shoving past the infected until I was close to her. Once she was in arm's length, I grabbed her hand, "Stay close!"

She nodded as I let go of her hand, wanting both hands on my ax. I started making my way to the open garage door, taking out any infected that was in the way. Every so often I looked back to make sure Mac was following me and was close. She looked terrified, holding her doll close

Once we got to the opening leading outside, I jumped down into the empty parking lot like area. I propped my axe against the wall where I jumped from before holding out my arms. Mac jumped into them and I caught her, then set her down and picked up my ax.

I looked around, taking in the few cars. Then one of the driver windows to a little car opened, Matt sticking his head out and banging on the side of the door to get our attention, "Get in!"

I lead Mac to a back door of the car, opening it and letting her get in before I did.