18.- The meeting and more mysteries

Years ago...

Balto was returning to the base after an investigation into another bank to find out how to rob it, but something different appeared in him. He opened the door and went to the room where Sophie was planning the assaults.

"Love, I have something to tell you, I hope you take it well."

"About the bank? I'm all ears." Sophie answered with joy upon hearing his voice, turning around. A smile enlightened the face of the criminal.

The wolf shook his head. "Not quite, dear one, I want to talk to you about something else." He looked to the side, not knowing how to say it.

The pink haired dog started looking at him with some doubts, tilting her head and arching her mouth. "What's the matter, honey?"

"I feel like I don't see any sense in continuing with this life," Balto sighed after telling it, "that we should stop robbing banks and live calm and happily, having something more than a criminal life, we deserve it."

"Wait... you mean you... quit?" Sophie's expression changed from doubts to anger, frowning.

"I just want to leave the criminal life and live together, my dear one. I'd love that we could-" Before finishing, she got upset.

"What do you mean by leaving this life?! I want us to be together forever!" The anger of the African wild dog was rising, she felt everything was coming back to her.

"I don't want to leave you, I want us to live in peace."

Sophie wasn't reasoning despite Balto's explanations. "You know what? Go away! You're all the same, that's it... Leave me like he did!"

"But love..."

"Get out!" She took out her pistol and pointed it at Balto.

The wolf left in pain, slowly going from there, his love pointed a pistol at him and he walked outside between sighs. It seemed that all the way they lived was of no use, that it was impossible to continue with that story, but...

Present...

The policemammals opened the door. Sophie heard the door opening. In Sophie's living room, the hedgehog entered to report.

"Miss Sophie, I just saw the cops and they're looking for your trail around here. You'd better move and get out of here."

The African dog thought for a moment and answered. "No more running away. If they want me, let them catch me, but it won't be that easy..." A grim grin came across her face and she stared at the hedgehog. "Coleman, set the traps on the floors so they won't get to my position without a fight."

"Are you sure boss? They don't seem tough enough to get over them." The hedgehog smiled to himself remembering the accident.

"I won't take risks. Set the traps... NOW!" The dog ordered the hedgehog. Coleman didn't extend Sophie's patience any further and went to set the traps. "Here I await you, little protectors of Zootopia."

To the surprise of the cops, there was no one there when they opened the door, the room was completely empty and lifeless.

"Damn it, I failed the theory." Nick wailed.

"We mustn't be sorry for the mistake, we are a team, but we have to go to the other building now or she will escape. Quick." They listened to Vol and hurried down the building.

The three of them hurried to the missing building, reaching the door to enter. At that moment, Vol noticed something strange on the door.

Shortly before Nick was to open the door, his partner stopped him. "Wait a minute... There is something weird here." He picked up a coin and threw it softly against the doorknob. The coin got glued and flew towards the cops, who dodged it by centimeters, which almost looked like a bullet more than a coin. "The knob electrocutes on contact, and we have already seen that it isn't a low voltage..."