Night Music

The story really happened two years ago with a friend of mine, whose name I do not want to expose. It will seem unreal to you, and I also at first I thought it was fiction - but I saw the door that was ruined by a night guest, and fearful eyes of this girl. 

She woke up at night. Her husband was not home, he was gone on a business trip, and the children were sleeping in another room. She lay on the bed and could not understand why she woke up. The watch showed one o’clock. She got up and went into the kitchen. Having poured himself a glass of water, she sat down on a chair, opened the window and lit a cigarette. She felt cold and sad for no reason. For this sadness she first did not hear the melody that was coming from the street. But the melody was approaching and was very close - it seemed that its source would fly into the open window any second now. She realized that there should have been no music at all: it was the middle of the night, everyone was asleep, no one could enter the backyard because the house was protected by a large fence, and the gate was closed at night. But the music was so soothing; it sounded like a child's lullaby, and made you want to dissolve in it. And despite some anxiety, her soul was drawn to the melody; it seemed that if you would just step outside – all of your problems and troubles would be gone forever. 

The girl got up, went to the nursery to check if everything was fine with the kids and went to the door mesmerized by the melody. She threw a blanket on her shoulders and was about to open the door of the house when she first decided to look out the window. Coming up to the window, she screamed in terror. Out on the street there was her son of three years old, he was all dressed in white, but it was dirty and smeared in blood stains. The child stood and looked into the window, and in his hands he was holding a music box, which was playing that melody. The woman knew that it was not her son, because just a minute ago she saw him sleeping peacefully in his crib. She was paralyzed with fear. She checked whether the door was closed, and then slid to the floor. She was afraid to move, and she could not go to her room or to her children's bedroom because she was afraid that "it" will see her though the window. 

The music was getting closer and she could hear it by the front door. There was a knock on the door. The girl's heart was pounding, fear paralyzed her body, she could not move... Then there was a second, third, fourth knock on the door, then the creature started knocking harder and screaming: "Mommy, open up, I'm cold, let me go home! Mommy!” The voice, first of a child, turned into a harsh male voice. It kept knocking and creaming and the music played non-stop. The girl realizing at some point that she was about to go crazy jumped up and ran to the nursery. Making sure that all her children were still sleeping peacefully, she sat on the floor beside her son’s crib, wrapped herself in a blanket and waited, although she didn’t know for what.  

Knocking and cursing continued for some time, and then it all got quiet. She knew that if she had not looked out the window and went into the backyard, something terrible could happen. She could never go back to sleep, and the next morning, still in fear, she opened the front door and realized that the nightly events were not a bad dream, because the front door was disfigured by intense knocking...