Julia

It was a month ago. We (and I live with my mother) were hosting my five year old niece Julia – my sister had gone on a business trip, and Julia had to stay with us. Since my mom works, I had to take care of the girl.

Not that I did not like her, but nanny is obviously not my calling. Basically, I lasted a week and then went to the country house to go some gardening and only returned two days later, around three o'clock in the morning (my car broke down on the way home). 

I entered the house, didn’t turn on the light not to wake anyone up. I went into the kitchen and nearly died of fright: somewhere out of the corner Julia jumped at me. Pushing me away, she ran out of the kitchen and ran into my mother's room, crying. I felt ashamed – I scared the girl, and also got scared myself. And I was also surprised - what was she doing there? 

In the morning I asked my mother – why was Julia wandering around at night? Mom looked at me like I was crazy, and said that Lizzy (my sister) picked up the girl the day before yesterday, and there were no other children in our house. But I saw Julia as clearly as I can still see the monitor right now. What was it?.. 

To say that I was shocked – is to say nothing. She ran up to me, pushed me away, I could feel her touch!  

A few days later my mother came home from work a bit anxious and asked me to tell her again what happened in more detail. When I described to her what Julia was wearing (she had on a white nightgown), my mom said:  

- She had no nightgown, she was sleeping in pajamas.  

And sure enough, she had these pink pajamas. Julia loves them and sleeps only in them.  

Mom was upset - she said it was a bad sign. And just a few days later Julia got to a hospital – she knocked over a hot kettle and burned her leg. And when my mother and I came to visit her, she was wearing a white hospital nightgown, which was exactly the same that I saw on "Julia" that night...