𝑒𝑝𝑖𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑢𝑒

∘◦ ☆ ◦∘

"𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊! 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊!" Lucy exclaimed, pointing to a giant wave out in the distance, not seeming to move forward, just a continuous rush of water flowing upward and into a higher current.

"Aslan's country," King Caspian commented, pulling on the oars of our small rowboat, moving it forward through the shallow water, which was covered in thousands of white flowers, "We must be close."

Picking up one of them, I watched water droplets roll off of the petals and back into the salty ocean. After the battle at the dark island, we took the ragged and broken ship, and sailed as far as we could, coming across the little anomaly of a small sandy beach; all of us agreeing that we should check it out, "Well, we've come this far."

"So, what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund questioned, who was sitting beside me, squinting the sun out of his eyes.

Eustace, who had been turned back into a human, had briefly told us the story of Aslan, and how he was the one who had done it, "No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot."

Smiling at him, I placed my hand on his shoulder and laughed a little bit. Smiling back at me, he shook his head in amusement, "Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really."

"You were a pretty good dragon," Reepicheep agreed, scurrying around the boat to stand in front of the boy, sticking his sword into the wood.

"My friends, we have arrived," King Caspian announced, pulling the oars out of the water and jumping out of the boat, pulling it towards the sand.

Stepping out of the boat, I took in the sheer size of the mystical wave, it must have been at least twice my height. Coming to stand beside me, Edmund grabbed my hand, and when I turned to look at our intertwined fingers, I noticed the bottom half of his pants have been soaked and coated in a layer of sand, making me laugh quietly to myself.

"Aslan," Lucy exclaimed from a few feet away. Turning to see where she was looking, I noticed a magnificent lion, it's mane full and free of tangles in its golden fur. His eyes a sparkling blue, filled with wisdom and kindness.

Breathing out a wow in amazement of him, I felt my heart swell with happiness as he spoke, "Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end."

Turning to the wave, King Caspian's eyes filled with hope and curiosity, "Is this your country?"

"No, my country lies beyond."

"Is my father in your country?" The king spoke softly, winding his fingers through each other in overflowed emotion.

Aslan smiled at him in a gentle way, tilting his head to the side slightly, "You can only find that out for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return."

I watched King Caspian struggle with the choice, staring at the whoosh of ocean water for a long while as his eyes filled up with tears. eventually, he turned away and walked back over to the rest of the group.

"You're not going?" I asked softly, as to not make him upset. I only wanted to make sure that he would be making a choice he wouldn't regret, as a friend.

Turning to look at me, he shed a single tear, and brushed it away with his hand, "I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for. I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. A people. I promise to be a better king."