𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒

∘◦ ☆ ◦∘

𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐅𝐖𝐀𝐘 through the day, about noon, I had noticed a peak of green just under the horizon and as we got closer, it grew. You could see trees and short grass when we got close enough, reminding me of the boreal forests in my homeland. The crew was excited about the solid ground we had arrived at, their attitudes eager to get their feet off the rocking of the boat on the waves.

I stood beside Drinian, who was next to King Caspian and Edmund was on his other side, "It looks uninhabited."

"But if the lords followed the mist east, they would have stopped here," Edmund pointed out, his voice slightly unsure.

Turning my head to look at him, I gave him a skeptical look and spoke softly, "Could be a trap."

"Or it could hold some answers," He argued back firmly. Obviously, he had made his choice but couldn't give orders, "Caspian?"

"We'll spend the night on shore. Scour the island in the morning," King Caspian announced, taking a step back and giving one last glance at the three of us.

"Aye, your Majesty."

Rolling out the stiff blanket on the sand, I sighed quietly, knowing this was going to be a rough night. Setting my leather pillow down at the edge of the blanket, I spun on my knees and sat down.

Watching Eustace struggle to get sand off of his blanket from a few feet away, a smile crept its way onto my face as amusement overtook me. Hearing him huff angrily caused me to laugh at his expense, "Eustace, just pick it up and set it back down!"

Turning to look at me, he rolled his eyes but done what I had suggested none the less. Suddenly, a blanket and pillow were thrown down next to me, tossing some sand up in the air.

"He is insufferable," Edmund commented, lowering to his knees in the sand and grabbing his blanket.

I laughed for a short second, "He's alright. I just think his pride gets in the way."

Edmund rolled out the blanket next to mine, handing me his pillow to hold while he did so. The light from the fire illuminated his face, but also warmed my feet, which were closest, against the cool temperature of dusk.

Taking his pillow back, he set it at the top of his blanket, the same way as mine and lied down, tucking his hands close to his chest. Following his example, I lied down as well and put my hand under my cheek, both of us facing each other. It was quiet for a while, a comfortable silence. My eyes were closed, listening to the soft murmurs of the other people around us and the crackling of the fire until I heard Edmund whisper softly, "I never noticed you had a scar on your hand."

Opening my eyes, I noticed it had gotten significantly darker. The light from the fire cast shadows on Edmund's face, giving the illuminated parts an orange glow, "People don't really pay attention to the hands."

"Can I see?" He questioned, a curious look in his eyes.

Smiling, I untucked my hand from under my cheek and presented it in front of him. Reaching out, he grabbed my hand gently and twisted it around a couple times, "How'd you get it?"

"I took a pan of cookies out of the oven with a wet dishcloth," I laughed quietly, as to not disturb the other people sleeping around us.