Lie #15: Homeschoolers are as Gradeless as Grade A Eggs

Dedicated to the amazing @notsospiffyxchic for giving me the inspiration for this chapter. Thank you so much!!

Lie #15: Homeschoolers are as Gradeless as Grade A Eggs

“Hey, what grade are you in? Oh wait, that’s right, you’re homeschooled… um, do you guys use the same grades as normal schools? Hold the phone, do you even have a grade you’re in?”

Up until about a month ago, I’d never came across anyone like that idiot up there. But alas, two people, yes TWO people recently assumed wrong things about the so-called grades us homeschoolers are in.

The first person asked me what grade I was in, and I said 11th. And then, THEN, they were like: wait, do you use the same grades as public schools? How do you know what grade you’re in?

Well duh, do you think we made up our own rules about it or what?

The thing is, a lot of people think I’m 14 (which I’m not, I’m 16), and I get it, I look younger because I don’t wear makeup like every other girl my age, but that doesn’t make me freaking 2 years younger okay? So to give this person the benefit of the doubt, maybe they thought something like: how the heck could a 14 year old be in the 11th grade?!

Maybe not.

Maybe I’m just too kind to people and think the best of them.

I don’t know.

Anyways, the other person, alien, vampire, or whatever was like: Do you even have a grade you’re in? Like how does it work in homeschooling?

Okay, I get it, you’re curious and you want to know more about us foreigners, but what do you take us for, gradeless beings??!

Let’s be real here. How would we ever graduate if we didn’t have grades?

And to further educate you, I would like to inform you that, yes, us homeschoolers can skip grades, flunk grades, and even take classes that are at a different grade level. But that doesn’t mean we’re in 9th AND 10th grade. We only have one grade we’re in each year, and then the next year, it goes up one number.

And yes, in high school, we have two semesters just like any public schooler would.

Now…

To prevent you from being looked down upon by a homeschooler, please take my advice.

Don’t ever ask any homeschooler if they have a grade they’re in, if they’re grades are the same as a ‘real’ schools, or anything like that. Because one, yes, they do, and two, homeschooling is a ‘real’ school, okay? Instead, just ask them something that doesn’t make you sound and look stupid because trust me (I’m always candor, right?), our grades, year, whatever, are the same as yours.

(Unless, of course, you meet a homeschooler from Jupiter. Which I have. But that’s a super long story and ain’t nobody got time for that.)

Hi, nice to see you. It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? I tried to upload sooner, I really did, but the thing is, both my parents passed away and now I’m an orphan with nowhere to go. I’ve been wandering the streets, but finally, I came across a library and I’m on their computer writing this.

Okay no. I really have no good excuse, because even though I’ve been super busy with school and everything, I could’ve made the time to write this because it only takes an hour, but I didn’t.

And I know I keep saying I’ll update more, and legit this time, I promise I will because I hate making you guys wait so long. I really do, even though it may not seem like it. So, for the next month, I will upload a new chapter every Friday. Sound good?

What grade/year are you in?

Technically we’re all in the same year… 2014 ;)

<3 Ashlyn