Chapter Twenty Continued

I SUCK AT THIS SAPPY GARBAGE.  I APOLGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THIS PART.

Eve sat at the kitchen table and stared at the refrigerator.  She wanted to get up and prepare dinner, but it was the first time she’d been out of bed in three days for more than a trip to the bathroom and she was wary.  The pain was completely gone except for twinges when she moved too quickly, but that didn’t alleviate her fears.

Eve was worried about Doug’s reaction as well.  Since the night she’d slept in his arms, he’d been openly affectionate and protective.  Meals in bed, books hand delivered, movies on demand were all part of the routine.  It had been disconcerting to be pampered.

Eve turned quickly when she heard the front door open and close.  She winced as her stomach muscles protested against the sharp movement.  She listened as Doug’s footsteps neared the kitchen, and for a moment, she considered trying to make a dash for her bedroom.

“What are you doing out of bed?”

Eve slowly angled her body so that she could meet Doug’s eyes.  “I’m sick of being in bed.  I’d like to cook dinner, but I’m not sure—”

“Absolutely not,” Doug cut her off.  “If you’d like, we’ll eat out here, but after dinner, you have to go back to bed.”

“I have to start moving around sometime, Doug.”  Eve’s tone gave away none of the impatience she felt.

“Not tonight.”  He held up the bags in his hands and walked to the table.  “I thought you might like something different from the canned soup I’ve been making you.”  He put the bags down and leaned over to kiss her cheek.  “I think it’s time we have that talk, don’t you?”

Eve watched silently while Doug gathered plates and dished out the food.  Her mouth watered as the scent of the grilled chicken wafted through the room.

“That looks delicious,” she said, pulling a plate toward her.  She avoided Doug’s question and his piercing gaze, just as she had been since Doug had declared his feelings.  She wanted to believe that he had come to care for her, but a large part of her was terrified to become even more dependent on him.  She also feared his change of heart had nothing to do with his feelings for her and everything to do with the fact that they still didn’t know if she was pregnant.

Eve cut into the succulent chicken and began eating.  She chewed slowly and swallowed.  The food caught in her throat and she had to force it down.  After struggling through several bites, she stopped eating.

“Is there something wrong with your food?” Doug asked.

Eve shrugged.  “So many days on a liquid diet seems to have shrunk my stomach.”

“Is that it or are you uncomfortable with me now?” Doug reached across the table and covered her hand with his.”

“I’m perfectly comfortable with you,” Eve said.  She flipped her hand and grasped his.  “Maybe a little uncomfortable with this conversation you think we need to have.”