Chapter Sixteen--Part Two

“I’m so glad you’re both here,” Mrs. Johnson seemed out of breath as she escorted Emma into the kitchen.

When they’d heard her shout, Doug and Eve jumped apart.  Standing a few feet from each other, they both fidgeted uncomfortably while avoiding looking at each other.

“You’re back early,” Eve attempted to sound collected.  “I wasn’t expecting you for at least another half an hour.”

“We were going to stay and help clean up,” Mrs. Johnson explained, “but Emma was too excited to come home and tell you her news.”

“You have news, Emma?” Doug smiled at the teenager.

“Camp,” Emma said clearly with a broad grin lighting her face.

“Emma has been invited to a two-week long summer camp program,” Mrs. Johnson clarified.  “The paperwork is in Emma’s bag, but it’s quite a big step for her.”

“This is an overnight program?” Eve asked.  “I’m not sure…”

“As her care provider, I would be going along with her,” Mrs. Johnson cut in.  “But even with a full time care provider, only students who have shown a certain level of independence are invited to the sleep away camp.”

“Who runs this camp?” Doug asked with narrowed eyes.

“The information is in the paperwork,” Mrs. Johnson said.  She lifted Emma’s drawstring bag and began rifling through it until she found what she was looking for.  “This can only be a good thing for Emma, but there is some cost involved.”  The nurse looked uncomfortable.  “I would, of course, pay for my own accommodations, if you would continue to pay my regular salary.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Doug shook his head and took the papers from her.  “If this is something we decide is good for Emma, we would pay your expenses as well as an overtime rate.”

“What about your family?  Can you be away for that long?” Eve asked.

“My children are grown,” Mrs. Johnson said with a sad smile.  “My youngest is away at college and the other two have started lives of their own.  I think they’ll survive if Mom isn’t available by phone for a few weeks.”

Eve felt guilty for not making more of an effort to get to know Mrs. Johnson on a personal level.  She had become such a central part of their lives that it was sometimes difficult to remember that she was an employee; and yet that was how Eve had treated her.

“Eve and I will discuss this and let you know our decision,” Doug said.  His eyes were focused on the information in front of him and he didn’t look up until a hand tugged on his arm.

“Camp,” Emma said smiling brightly and batting her eyelashes.

Doug lost the fight to laughter as he watched Emma try to manipulate him to get her way.  With hearty chuckles tumbling from his throat, he reached out and ruffled Emma’s hair.