Chapter Eight--Part Two

Doug watched the coffee brew, unsure why he’d made it.  The smell of the bitter liquid got stronger with each drop that plopped into the pot.  Altogether, it was completely unappealing to him, but at the same time it allowed him to focus on anything but the woman he’d been doing his best to avoid.

Eve.  She wanted to talk to him.  Doug twisted his head to crack his neck, hoping to relieve some of the stress that had taken up residence there in that last few weeks.  Eve could only want to talk about so many things.  Was she pregnant?  Was she not pregnant?  Had she figured out that he would take care of Emma regardless?

“There is a better chance of success if the specimen is fresh, Mr. Master,” the straight-faced nurse told him while passing him a sterile cup.

“Do you provide the porn?” Doug asked trying to ease the lines around her face and his own discomfort.  The nurse was having no part of his levity though.

“The rooms are equipped with all the materials you should need,” the nurse told Doug.  “When you’re finished, place the specimen in the slot in the wall and close the metal door.”  She directed Doug to a room.  “The door will lock in place and then you’re free to go.”

“I’ll be waiting for Eve,” Doug said.  “We came together.”

“She’s being prepped for the procedure now,” the nurse said.  “The doctor is going over everything with her as we speak.  I believe you were already given this information.”

“Yeah,” Doug said.  He looked anywhere but at the nurse as she gestured for him to enter the private room.

“The insemination process only takes a few minutes,” she told him flicking a switch to illuminate the room.  “Ms. Porter will then remain in a prone position for approximately thirty minutes.  Because the semen is inserted exactly where it needs to be…”

“I got it,” Doug snapped.  He took a deep breath and steadied himself.  “I understand,” he said quietly.

Doug and Eve had both had pre-procedure consultation outlining different methods of clinical conception.  Artificial insemination didn’t have the highest success rate, but it was the most natural.  

Doug had been fine with it until this moment.  Now the most natural method of clinical conception didn’t seem all that natural and he wasn’t sure he could go through with it.  Did he really want his child to be conceived in a doctor’s office?  But then the door closed behind the nurse and Doug knew he was stuck in a trap of his own design. 

“Doug?” Eve’s voice roused him out of his revere.  “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, sorry,” he answered.  “It’s been a long day.  What did you want to talk about?”  Doug focused his eyes on a spot just over Eve’s shoulder.  It was a trick he’d perfected in college when he didn’t want to meet someone’s eyes but didn’t want that person to know.

“I’m not pregnant,” Eve blurted out.  She stood in front of Doug rocking on her heals, clasping and unclasping her hands nervously.  “My period came tonight and I’m so sorry.  We can try again as soon as the doctor says it’s okay.  We can do that ovulation stimulator thing or whatever it was called.  I’m so so sorry.”

Doug closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.  Disappointment and relief warred inside of him and he wasn’t sure which side he wanted to win.

“We knew there was more of a chance it wouldn’t take…” Doug began.

“But I was hoping it would,” Eve cried.  “You’ve done so much for us and I wanted to give you this.”

“We’ll try again,” Doug told her firmly.  It quickly became clear to him that there was no gracious way out of the deal he’d offered Eve, even if that was what he wanted.  And Doug was anything but sure about what he wanted.

Doug stood and was ready to make a quick retreat when Eve’s voice stopped him again.

“Thanksgiving is in two weeks,” she all but shouted.  “I’m sure you have plans, but if you don’t I’d really like to cook for you.”

Doug turned back to Eve and just stared at her.  The approaching holiday hadn’t crossed his mind.  He usually spent the day with Thad and Camille, but for some reason offer from the blonde bundle of nerves in front of him had him reconsidering.

“I mean, I’m going to cook anyway,” Eve said, her cheeks burning.  “Emma should have a good holiday.  It’s been so long and we have so much to actually be thankful for this year.”

“I…uh…” Doug faltered.

“It’s okay if you already have plans,” Eve said her shoulders drooping slightly.  “I know you had a life before we took it over.”

“I’ll have to let you know,” Doug said.  Then he left the kitchen before he could do something stupid, like tell her he’d love to spend Thanksgiving with her.