Chapter Ten--Completed

Doug threw on some sweatpants and a t-shirt as soon as his door closed behind Eve.  It had obviously been too long since he’d had sex from the way his body reacted to its own nudity and her proximity. 

He plopped down on the edge of his bed and rubbed his eyes.  Doug wasn’t sure how, but the situation had gotten out of his control.  He hadn’t expected Eve to come to him demanding action.  Doug groaned audibly.  She had practically demanded that he get her pregnant.

That thought made his body react again.

“Damn it,” Doug muttered.  He rose to his feet and went back into his bathroom.  He was going to have to take care of this before he talked to her.

Doug closed the bathroom door, just in case Eve came back to his bedroom looking for him.  He kicked off his sweatpants and looked down at his betraying cock.

“You’ve forgotten what she did to us,” he said to his crotch with a scowl.

But Doug knew it wasn’t just his libido that had moved beyond teenage torment.  Eve wasn’t the same person she’d been fifteen years ago.  She’d been forced to grow up by tragedy and it had made her strong and dependable.

Doug reached down and palmed himself as he allowed images from the last six weeks to filter through his mind.  Eve in a short bathrobe making coffee.  Eve still damp from a shower, rushing to check on Emma.  The movie in his head went further back as he remembered what her bare breasts had looked like when they were adolescents and as they morphed into the mature body he’d slyly studied.  With a throaty growl, Doug’s starved body jerked in his hand.  His hips pumped furiously as he thrust into his fist and a minute later, it was over.

Doug didn’t look in the mirror as he washed up.  Masturbating itself didn’t bother him, but the subject of his thoughts as he did it made him feel guilty.  Stepping back into his sweats, he only hoped that it was enough to keep his maintain his control.

Doug left his bedroom and the thirty feet of hallway to the den felt like a march to death row.  In the doorway, he stopped to take a deep breath.  Eve was already there, waiting by the bar.

“Eve,” Doug said stepping into the room and closing the door.  The last thing either of them needed was for the night nurse to overhear the conversation they were about to have.

“I made you a drink,” Eve said extending a glass to him.  “I figured we could both use one for this.”

“Thanks,” Doug said with evident relief.  He moved into the room and accepted the highball glass and slammed the scotch it held.  He held it out and Eve poured him another.  Doug took the drink and moved to the sofa.

“So,” he began.

“So,” Eve repeated moving to sit on the opposite end of the sofa, facing him.  “What’s going on Doug?  You wanted a child so badly.  I know Thanksgiving was bad, but I’ve apologized to you and I’m willing to apologize to Mrs. Kline.”

“You don’t owe Camille an apology,” Doug said turning to look at her.  “I owe Camille an apology, but you don’t.”

“What do you have to apologize for?” Eve questioned, her eyebrow cocking ever so slightly.

“Let’s just say I wasn’t exactly polite when I talked to her and Thad over the weekend and leave it at that, shall we?”  He took a sip of his drink.

“Oh,” Eve said and took a sip of her own drink.  “If this isn’t about the way I behaved, then what it is going on?  Because I have to admit to being very confused.”

“Eve,” Doug began and slid closer to her on the sofa.  He knew it was a risk, but he figured he owed her more than the gaping divide between them.  “Do you remember that day in the café?  When we were talking about high school?”