Chapter Eight--Part One

Eve sighed heavily as she reached for the feminine napkins she’d stored in the bathroom closet.  When her period hadn’t started on schedule, her hopes had been raised.  Eve really wanted to give him the baby, the family that he seemed to need like most people needed food.  She choked back a sob as she watched the red-tinged water swirl down the drain and with it dreams of quickly repaying all the wonderful things Doug had done in the for her and Emma in the last three weeks.

One of Doug’s first priorities had been to get Emma to a neurologist.  Eve had been concerned about Emma’s reaction to all the tests, but as long as Doug remained with her, Emma hadn’t resisted.  When the results had shown that Emma’s brain patterns had improved dramatically since the accident, Eve had nearly shattered.  

The guilt overwhelmed her until she could barely look at her sister, but Doug stepped up once again.  He hadn’t tried mouthing platitudes, but simply listened as Eve expounded on everything she had done wrong.  At the end of her diatribe, Doug had simply asked Eve what she thought she should have done differently and how she would have achieved those things.  In the end, his method had allowed Eve to come to terms with the fact that she did the best she could in the circumstances.

“Miss Porter,” a knock on the bathroom door jarred Eve out of her spiraling depression.  “Emma is ready for bed, if you’d like to say goodnight,” the night nurse called through the closed door.

“I’ll be right there,” Eve called and then listened for the nurse to move away.

Eve quickly cleaned up and washed her hands.  Bedtime was now one of Eve’s favorite times of day.  The night nurse would help Emma bathe and get her settled and then Eve would read to her until she drifted off to sleep.  The most amazing part of all this, was that Emma seemed to listen.  She couldn’t make eye contact, a common issue with those who had autism, but Emma’s body language revealed that she actually heard and understood what Eve was reading.

Eve smiled awkwardly at the night nurse who was carrying Emma’s soiled linens down the hall toward the laundry chute.  She was still adjusting to the fact that there was someone else to take care of all the mundane things that Emma couldn’t do for herself, leaving Eve to actually enjoy her sister.  Slowly opening the door, so not to startle Emma, Eve was surprised to hear Doug’s voice.

***

“I like them!  I like them, Sam-I-Am.”  Doug couldn’t suppress the joy he derived from reading to the challenged girl living in his home.  He was surprised at how easily Eve and her sister fit into his life.  

At first, Doug had tried to keep his distance; this arrangement was only temporary and it wouldn’t be good for any of them to get attached.  But in the space of a few short weeks, Doug had found his heart opening up to the girl who had latched onto him like a drowning person latches onto a life preserver.  He wasn’t sure if it were his desire to be a father or the way Emma seemed to open up when he was with her, but he found himself a little less empty these days.

Doug closed the book slowly and slid it into the built-in bookshelf on Emma’s beside table.  He had heard Eve enter the room, but refused to acknowledge her.  Typically he tried to finish reading to Emma before Eve came in for their goodnight ritual, but tonight he’d been a little too slow.

Rising to his feet slowly, Doug leaned over to give Emma soft kiss on the forehead.  As usual, her fingers found the course hair at the nape of his neck and tugged.  This habit of hers had turned into the signal that she wasn’t ready for him to leave yet.  Doug suppressed a sigh but settled on the edge of Emma’s bed nevertheless.  He didn’t have it in him to leave the girl when she wanted his attention.

“Your sister is here, Emma,” Doug’s voice was low and soothing.

“Hi sweetie,” Eve said stepping farther into the room.  “I see Doug has already read you a story for tonight.”

“I read to her every night,” Doug said looking at Eve.  He hadn’t realized she wasn’t aware of his evening visits with Emma.

“Emma,” Eve said smiling and moving to the other side of the bed.  “I think you’re a scammer.”  She looked at Doug.  “I’ve been reading to her every night too.”

Doug chuckled as Emma’s fingers tugged on his hair again.  “You’ve been caught, Cindy Lou,” Doug told her.

“Cindy Lou?” Eve asked confused.

“She really seems to like ‘How The Grinch Stole Christmas,’” Doug answered with a shrug.  “She reminds me of the sleepy little girl who needs a drink of water.”

“That’s sweet,” Eve murmured.  “Well, Cindy Lou,” Eve tried to make her voice bright, but inside she felt a jolt of emotion she didn’t want to identify.  “I think it’s time for lights out.”

Doug stood again, forcing Emma’s hand away from his hair.  The girl made a noise and reached for him again, but Doug just caught her fingers between his hands and rubbed them gently.

“Listen to Eve,” he told Emma.  “You need to get your rest so you can keep getting better.”  He set her hand gently at her side and backed toward the door.

“Doug,” Eve stopped him.  “Can I talk to you for a few minutes?”  Her voice was hesitant, but steady.  “After I finish my goodnights with Emma?”

“I’ll be in the kitchen,” Doug said and then quickly left the room.