25- Ky

The soundless air around us was thick and tense. Nothing moved, I barely breathed. I sat back against the porch swing with my mind swirling and eyes never straying from the table in front of me; everything else momentarily forgotten. I didn't know what to process first. There was so much, it was almost too much. We'd been quiet as she told her story. My heart pounded as my imagination shaped images and sounds like I was there. My brain scrambled and grasped for answers to the many questions I was left with. Mom...my poor mother. And she said, Monroe. That had to be a coincidence right? Surely she didn't mean to indicate any affiliation with Aaron Monroe. That couldn't have been his father. Right? I swallowed the lump in my throat. How would Aaron react if he found out about this? I stole a glance at my father, he sat hunched over with his elbows placed on his knees and both hands folded together against his lips in deep concentration.

    A small whimper intruded my train of thought. My attention snapped to the girl next to me, my heart broke at the sight. Her blonde strands failed to hide her tears streaming down her cheeks. Her body trembled in fright awaiting our reactions. Her labored breaths quickened their pace the longer the seconds dragged out. She retrieved her hand from mine and coiled to spring up. Her fight or flight instincts were taking over. If we responded the wrong way there's no doubt she would run. I suddenly remembered my nightmares, recalling that evil gleam in her eyes as she willingly chose someone else. She chose the man who abused her. Why would she do that? How could she go back to him after everything he's done to her? They were just dreams after all, but I couldn't help but feel like they were a warning.

    She's mine.

    I was treading on thin ice. Our relationship became rocky after how I treated her at Christmas. It was stupid on my part. She certainly did not deserve my unnecessary wrath. I guess the only good thing that came out of it was learning how she takes heated situations, at least with me. I waited a little longer to see if Dad would speak up first, but he remained a statue. I took a deep breath, scolding myself when it slightly shook and tried to come up with something to say. Though that proved to be difficult. She had just confessed to killing a man. Knowing Saige, even if she was saving my mom, she would think of herself a murderer.

    That dream I had a while back flooded my mind. The one where I had to watch three shadowed figures run Saige through with swords while I stood unable to move. A shiver crawled up my spine sending goosebumps down my arms and back. All three held a scrawled, blood red word on the blades. Fear. Guilt. Silent killers that can destroy even the strongest from the inside out. Murderer. She bolted out of her seat with sudden speed and precision, but I was ready already anticipating it. I shot forward on instinct catching her hand essentially trapping her. We had been silent for too long. She thought we were thinking the worst, I had to make her see it was the opposite.

    "Let me go," she refused to look at me, voice straining with emotion.

    I shook my head even though she couldn't see speaking softly, "No." A sob pushed past her lips I knew she was desperately trying to hold back. I wish she wouldn't hold back. I didn't want her to hide from me. I wanted her to be comfortable, to be able to show the broken parts of herself. If it took the rest of my life to pick up her shattered pieces for her, I would. Even if I couldn't glue them back together, I would hold on to them, and remind her every day that she can be whole again. That she's beautiful in every possible way, and absolutely nothing would sway me to think otherwise.

    "Please," she tugged against my grip slightly twisting, testing to see if she could break it. By now Dad lifted his eyes to watch the scene unfold deciding to stay put. "I-I-,"

    "Saige," but she wouldn't hear it.

    "I-I know I messed up. I s-should have done better. I should have acted faster, done something...more. Anything to bring her with me. I should have at least tried to help her. A-and I...Monroe. He was...he's gonna...when he-," I gently took hold of her upper arm with my free hand pulling her towards me. "I-I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry! I wish I could change what I did. I think about it every waking hour and it haunts my dreams. Please b-believe me when I say I didn't want to. B-but I panicked and-,"