23- Ky

"How did I know something like this would happen?" I sighed heavily listening to Captain Kelly rant, she hasn't stopped since we showed up at the hospital. "Who knows how many other enemies know our location! We have to assume that we've been compromised in every aspect."

    "I'm open to suggestions on how to get seven thousand people to another safe place," my dad rubbed a hand down his face exhausted like the rest of us.

    Phoenix lit up with a small smile, "Is it too early to say push the town somewhere else?" The waiting room went silent with a mixture of glares or neutral faces, Saige's being the only one confused next to me. "Yeah, I thought so."

    "This was just a taste of the danger we're in. We need to do something fast. That could have ended very differently."

    "We know, Kelly," Monroe spoke up. "We all know."

    "Can we switch our focus?" Hannah's soft voice hushed their bickering, teary eyes brushing our gazes. She held both arms around her two daughters as they clung to her, Lacey half asleep. Sophie came in for a surprise visit, well it was sure a surprise when they found out what happened. "This is a serious issue, but please for tonight, let's focus on how I still have my family."

    Dad nodded standing up signaling to everyone we should give them some privacy, "Of course." One by one we filed out.

    Justin kissed his girlfriend's head following when Sophie asked, "What was it like?"

    "What?"

    "Beating the pulp out of him."

    He smirked, "Like a dream." She chuckled, and we left.

    Out in the hallway, we lingered, waiting to see if the scumbag will make it through surgery. Monroe shook his head, "How in the world is that guy still alive?"

    "He's the Hulk," Saige mumbled.

    "Abomination," Justin corrected.

    I grinned at her eye-roll, "Told you."

    "Really?" Kelly reprimanded, sending a glare. "You're talking about comic books?"

    "You think now is a bad time? Try being chased by a madman and having this debate," Saige scoffed. She glared in disbelief. "True story."

    "Kelly," Monroe placed a hand on her shoulder. "I think it's best if we turned in for the night."

    She relaxed a bit sighing and bringing Phoenix and Saige into her arms, "I could've lost both my daughters."

    Saige's gasp did not go unnoticed by anyone. She stilled in shock not knowing what to do or say. I don't even think Kelly meant to say it aloud. This day is just filled with astonishing events. "But you didn't," Phoenix quickly took over, "we're here, safe and sound."

    I took in her downcast eyes and blank expression wondering what's going through that beautiful mind of hers. She was so deep in thought she jumped from the sound of Debbie's voice, "The surgery was a success."

    "He made it?" My jaw dropped, "What a beast."

    "He's hurt pretty badly, but he's stable. We're waiting on the toxicology report to come back."

    "Is he awake?" Dad crossed his arms, the low tone told me exactly what he wanted to do.

    "No, I'll inform you as soon as he does."

    "Good, I want his clothes and any possessions he was carrying."

    "Already got them bagged and ready for you to look at, Commander," Monroe stepped aside letting a nurse pass.