17- Ky

I yawned rather loudly not bothering to stifle it as I stalked into the kitchen like a grizzly bear hunting for its first meal after hibernation. I usually don't mind mornings, but I just didn't want to deal with anything today, and I was really craving some dadgum pie. Fresh, hot from the oven, homemade pie, and I wasn't picky about the flavor; although apple sounded like a dream, and two giant scoops of vanilla ice cream, with lots of whipped cream.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," my dad chided walking past me and opening the fridge after he took notice of me practically murdering my bowl of cereal. I grunted in response shoving another spoonful in my mouth chewing loudly. I paused after a minute realizing my dad's eyes were on me, an eyebrow arched, "You need to get out of the house."

I groaned, "What did I do this time? Can't we talk about it before you make a rash decision and kick me out? Or at least give me time to find a place."

"Yup," he popped the "p" nodding to himself. "I'm kicking you out for the day; you're not allowed to come back until late evening." I rolled my eyes. "You're in one of your moods and you haven't left your room in two days. Take a break."

"Can you blame me? I haven't found anything promising."

"In our field son, that can be looked upon as a good thing."

"Right, it can, not guaranteed."

"What if Braxton really is the traitor, Ky? He confessed to everything."

I sighed rubbing a hand over my face, "It just seems a little too easy. Plus, should I just disregard what I think I saw?"

"I didn't say that; it's possible you just happened to run into someone by sheer chance."

"I don't believe in coincidences, Dad."

He gave me a cheeky grin, "Just faith?"

I cracked a smile, "That's better than any dumb luck."

"I agree, now get out of my house."

I quickly grabbed the things I thought I would need and obeyed heading for the gym. I always feel less stressed after a good workout. I, however, was not expecting to see a certain someone pounding away on a punching bag when I stepped over the threshold. In fact, I was expecting her to be hauled up in her room. My spirits lifted immediately. I walked entranced, like a moth to the flame towards her stopping just behind to watch for a moment. She halted mid punch, turning to face me with a half smile, "Welcome back to the land of the living."

I took a moment to survey the ground floor, "Where's Jackson?"

"He said he was going to be out of town for the next couple of days working, something about extracting someone. How does that work exactly?"

"Well, it's a little complicated. Is Phoenix here?"

"Nah; couldn't drag her butt out of bed this morning and Lacey is spending time with her mom and sister. Captain is working as well."

"So how did you get here?"

"I caught a ride with Silas."

"Silas?" A sharp pang erupted in my chest; I mentally scolded myself for it. It's not a big deal.

"Yeah, I was going to call you actually but he showed up at the house delivering a file to Captain and mentioned he was coming here so I asked if I could tag along. I didn't want to bother you anyway since it sounded like you were working on something important."

Silas talked to Dad and convinced him to give her a phone, but the girl forgets it and hardly takes it anywhere with her. Lacey and Phoenix have been trying to remind her but so far it's a feeble attempt. "It's never a bother Saige; you can call me anytime, okay?"