3- Ky

"This whole situation is a real pain," I seethed, shoving my unfinished breakfast back and slumping in the wood chair. The sun just peeked over the treetops in the cloudless sky, I could tell it was going to be a beautiful day; hot, but beautiful. Dad leaned back in his chair, hands resting behind his head, chocolate orbs stuck on the ceiling of our log cabin. Dark shadows casted under his eyes making him appear older; he's getting less sleep than me. "We have to go after them."

He peered at his empty plate in thought, "Right now, our best course of action is finding the mole. That's the only lead we got."

"It could be anyone."

"All the more reason to keep a closer eye on Saige; that room was a message. I don't want her to be alone."

A long, thick silence settled between us, looking everywhere but at each other. "Do..." I was hesitant to ask the unsaid question we both desperately wanted the answer to, "Do you think she's...I mean; it's been ten months since the last time Saige saw her."

He remained quiet for so long, I thought he wouldn't respond; but then he smiled faintly, "If I know your mother, she's a wildfire that can't be tamed." He raised his eyes to meet mine, "She's alive; she has to be."

He appeared confident, but I caught the guilty glint flash through his eyes. We have to assume at this point they know who we were looking for. The clock's ticking; we both knew it, with each second that passed, the weight increased tenfold. "We need to draw them out. It's the only way."

"How do you suggest we do that?"

"I'm not sure yet."

"Well, for the time being, our number one priority is Saige's safety. But keep an ear to the ground, and I will do the same." I nodded. "Now, if you don't leave you'll be late; we'll talk later." I nodded again and cleared the dishes from the table, rinsing them then placing them in the sink. I tucked my Ruger LCP 380 in my jeans successfully concealing it with my gray T-shirt and grabbed my keys heading out the door. "Ky," the softness in his voice stopped me. "Be careful, this is bigger than the both of us. And keep me updated."

"I will." I closed the door behind me and sauntered to my truck. We were all going to meet up at Lacey's house; Justin proclaimed that it was time for Saige to "discover a galaxy far, far away." I rolled my eyes. I doubt we'll even watch it considering Saige's nightmares have gotten worse since she went back. I took in a slow deep breath; I still need to patch up things with her. I didn't mean to push her away, but, that's exactly what I did. I plopped my head back against the headrest, I need to do something to make it up to her.

Lacey's house came into view, the red, metal roof stood out against the eggshell white walls in contrast to the grassy hill it sat upon overlooking twenty acres of fenced in open land. The Addison's owned a horse ranch; we used to have horses of our own, but after Mom's accident we simply couldn't take care of them anymore. So Hannah didn't hesitate to take them in. She insists they're still ours and can take them for a ride or home whenever we wanted. I come to walk them every once in a while and buy food for them. Honestly, I would love to bring our horses' home; but with everything going on I wouldn't have time to take care of them.

I spotted Phoenix's blue Honda Civic in the driveway; Kelly had finally saved enough to make a trip out of town to buy her daughter a used car a couple months ago. Phoenix picked up extra shifts at Granny's so she could keep the car running. She was banking on earning her ring by now; but I don't think the Captain wants her to be part of the team yet, for reasons unknown to me. I parked behind her, walked to the front door, and rang the doorbell, admiring the quilt square hanging on the wall.

"Hello, Ky," Hannah answered cheerfully. She had her chestnut hair pulled back in a ponytail, a black apron tied neatly around her, and blue eyes constantly darted towards the kitchen. "How are you?"