18- Saige

"Are you excited for your birthday bash tonight, Lacey?" Phoenix lay upside down on the bed in the blinding pink room, scrolling through her music playlists.

"Yes!" She sighed overdramatically falling back on a purple beanbag, "Justin can be so romantic."

I sat up from my position on the floor, my eyebrows scrunched in confused curiosity, "What does Justin being romantic have anything to do with your birthday bash?"

"He was trying to surprise me," she giggled, flipping her chestnut, loose curls over her shoulder. "But the geek is simply horrible at planning parties, so he caved and took me to the barn it's being held at to tell me everything. But it was so...romantic!" I smiled while Phoenix rolled her eyes. "By the way, are you guys nervous about tomorrow?"

"Nah," Phoenix lit up immediately. "I'm excited; I can't wait to get out of town."

"That's not the point of it," Lacey shook her head.

"So? I need a change of scenery; I wonder where it's going to be held."

"You should take phase two seriously."

"I do, Lace, but you can't blame me for finding this part fun."

"Nothing is fun about someone being in danger."

"No one is in danger; it's a mock field test, like a game."

"It's not a game!"

I groaned, "Can you two please not fight right now?" I think living together and sharing a room has taken its toll on their relationship.

They ignored me. "I know the job isn't a game-oh my word, just let me enjoy something for once in my life stick in the mud."

"Excuse me? The audacity for you to call me that," Lacey sat up, honey irises narrowed into slits. "You're the one moping all the dadgum time, always so gothic."

"Better than being a prissy, pink sugarplum."

I sighed getting up unnoticed as their petty argument continued, stalking out to the barn to help feed the horses. I caught a glimpse of Hannah lifting a pitch fork; I grabbed a bucket to fill with water. "They going at it again?"

"Yeah," the faucet squeaked as I turned the handle.

Hannah sighed, "I wish they wouldn't."

"I read in a book that sometimes it's best not to room with your best friend because it puts a strain on the friendship. Will this ruin theirs?"

She threw some hay into one of the stalls, "That can be true in a lot of cases, but I don't think it will ruin Phoenix and Lacey's relationship. Those two have been through thick and thin together. Sometimes friends just fight to get out tension and then move on."

I turned the water off heaving it up to switch the bucket out of Bolt's stall, "That seems silly. Can't people just talk civilly about what's on their mind?"

She chuckled wiping her forehead with her sleeve, "Not Phoenix and Lacey." Silence passed between us as we finished up the work with ease. I threw the last of the hay into No Name's stall and patted my hands off. "Thanks for your help, Saige."

"No problem," I stroked the paint horse's nose, giggling when she snorted.

"If you don't pick a name soon, Lacey is going to end up calling her Majesty."

"It's not a bad name," I mused.

"But, you should decide for yourself." She observed me for another moment, "If you don't mind me asking, why you haven't named her yet?"