19- Lacey

"And remember the all the safety measures, follow the rules, don't do anything you're not supposed to do, and-,"

    "Mom," I interrupted. "I will be just fine."

    Justin wrapped his arm around my waist pulling me close to his side, "I'll be following her in the shadows the whole time, Mrs. Addison; nothing is going to happen." He wouldn't take any other position, and no one dared to oppose him since it's rare to see him so adamant and borderline threatening.

    She let out a small huff, completely ignoring the fact that he called her by her last name, "I just don't see why you had to volunteer to help with phase two. There are plenty of others who could."

    "You know I can't turn down an opportunity to help someone, besides, it will be fun to see Phoenix and Saige's faces when they find out I'm involved. Plus," I dramatically flipped my hair over my shoulder. "You won't find a better actress in this here town."

    Mom rolled her eyes unamused, "Just...be careful."

    "Of course I will," I stepped forward engulfing her into a hug. "We'll be back late tonight."

    "Call or text me when you get there, and throughout the night, just so I know you're okay," I promised I would and we snuck to his truck before Saige and Phoenix saw us. Once we pulled out down the road a giggle bubbled out uncontrollably.

    My man shook his head fighting a smile, "We both know the real reason you volunteered is that you wanted to go to the fair."

    "I haven't been in ages, Justin! Phase two will only last what? A couple hours? Then the rest of the night we can celebrate by actually having some fun!" I bobbed in my seat unable to contain my excitement. "There are animals to pet, shows to watch, junk food to eat, and rides to throw up on!"

    "Isn't this a little devious?" His sea green eyes glanced at me somewhat guiltily.

    "No silly, Commander really did need volunteers, I didn't lie."

    "I know you didn't but, your mom's face was a little pale. Can't you see how scared she is? And after what happened at the Fall Festival-,"

    "I know, Justin, it was scary," I absentmindedly rubbed my leg. "But I'm not going to let that hold me back."

    He grabbed my hand intertwining our fingers, a hint of a smirk ghosting his lips, "Is this the same girl who had a huge fight with Phoenix yesterday about not taking things seriously?"

    "Hey, I am taking this seriously. I'm focused and ready to test the participants."

    "Really? Because all you've been talking about all night and morning is what we're going to do after phase two is over."

    "Oh come on, I can't help it. It's the closest to normalcy I'll ever get."

    His grip tightened slightly, "So, do you regret living here?"

    "No! Of course not, Justin, it's not that. It's just...sometimes I-,"

    "Miss things the way they used to be?"

    The pure, sorrowful undertone drew my eyes to his face like a magnet. Those sea-green eyes I love became glassy, a deep pain embedded into them, a familiar agony I've learned comes with a smiling facade. I stroked circles on the back of his hand with my thumb, treading gently, "Is it your mom?" His silence was my answer. "Does anyone else know?"

    He shook his head, "Ky has his own problems to deal with."

    "That doesn't mean he shouldn't."