13. Christmas & conversation

Daddy! Mommy!" Olivia bounced on her fathers bed on the morning of Christmas Eve Eve. Draco squeezed his eyes shut, in futile attempts to remain asleep. He felt Hermione shift beside him as she sat up. As the ever dutiful father, he followed suit. Draco glanced at the clock and saw it was nearly ten o'clock.

"Hello pumpkin." Hermione greeted, kissing her forehead. Even though she was their temporary child, she cringed at the thought, Hermione and Draco had both grown ridiculously attached to Olivia in the past three weeks. Neither of them would admit that out loud, of course.

"Hi Mommy." Olivia squeaked, her pigtails lopsided from sleep and her nightgown rumpled. She was adorable, obviously.

"Sweetie, today you're going to go with Mommy to Uncle P-Harry's." Draco covered up his mistake quickly. He was going to play Santa Clause for the day and get all the presents. Hermione had been busy taking care of Livia and studying for NEWTS that were months away; Draco had been busy with Quidditch practice and watching Livia while Hermione studied. Neither of them had remembered to get Christmas gifts. Since it was the holiday's, McGonagall had lifted the anti apparation law on their tiny town.

"Yay! With Liam and Lucas?" Olivia asked. Hermione nodded, smiling.

"Yep! So, go get dressed. Quick!" Hermione said, jumping up herself. Olivia ran off to get dressed in an outfit Hermione would most likely change. Hermione herself got dressed into a pair of jeans, a sweater, and boots. She disappeared into the bathroom for a minutes.

"Just get gifts for Livia, I'll go later tonight to get the rest my presents. Have fun." Hermione reached over the bed and placed a deep kiss on his lips. She pulled away, her dark eyes mirthful. She patted his cheek before disappearing.

Just as she thought, Olivia had dressed herself in a tutu and t-shirt. Hermione giggled as she put jeans on her instead. They bundled up, ready to brave the winter winds. Ever since their 'blackout blizzard', the snow had been piling up. Hermione held tightly onto her daughters gloved hands. They walked up the path and up the Potters drive way.

"Hello?" Hermione shouted, entering their house. She took off her coat and shoes, then Olivia's.

"In the kitchen!" She heard Harry shout. She held onto hand as they walked in. Ginny was cooking at the stove and Harry was reading the paper. Liam and Luke were sitting on the floor, playing with blocks. Olivia scampered over to join them.

"Hello Mione." Harry said, kissing her cheek. She sat down across from him and smiled.

"So, what are your plans for the holidays?" Hermione asked conversationally.

"The Burrow I suspect. Molly invited you, didn't she?"

"Yeah..." Hermione trailed off, fiddling with the hem of her sweater. She felt a warm hand over her own.

"You know that she will accept Draco, because you do." Harry whispered. Hermione smiled softly.

"It amazes me how you know just what I'm thinking." Hermione laughed lightly. He grinned.

"That's what best friends are for. But don't change the subject!"

"Well, I was thinking of going there tomorrow evening, Christmas Eve. My parents, along with Draco's Mum, are coming over for an early dinner on Christmas. You're welcome to join us, I believe Blaise and Luna will be." Hermione invited.

"Will I need to cook?" Ginny shouted. Hermione smiled, understanding her pain.

"Nope. Draco and I are." Hermione replied.

"Then, sure. We'll be there. As long as you come to the Burrow tomorrow night." Ginny said, giving her 'the look' that populated Mrs. Weasley's face.

"Alright, Alright." Hermione chuckled. They spent the rest of the day having fun. They baked cookies and Hermione came home laden with tins.

The next day dawned. Hermione was extremely nervous. Draco was equally nervous, after all he was going to the Weasley's. If it was up to them, he'd be dead. Or in Azkaban which was worse. Hermione said they were leaving at two o'clock. They spent the day getting ready. Hermione dressed Olivia in a very pretty green velvet dress with a big black bow, with matching bow in her hair and black shoes. Draco put on a nice pair of slacks, white button down, and expensive jacket his mother had given him the past Christmas. His tie matched Hermione's red wrap dress. She wore a pair of white heels and pearls to match. Finally the clock said it was two. She grabbed her hand bag, which was magicked with the Undetectable Extension Charm. It held all the presents and extra clothes. She really was fitting into the mother mold well. She held her bag and flooed to the Weasleys. She stumbled out of the fire, and into the arms if Molly Weasley.

"Hermione! Oh my goodness it's lovely too see you-" She stopped dead when the floo flared up again. Out came Draco with a babbling Olivia in his arms. He was patiently asking her questions. Molly turned to Hermione, but she heeded her off.

"Molly, this is Draco Malfoy. My boyfriend. This is Olivia, our daughter." Hermione introduced. Molly blanched, but regained herself quickly.

"Oh, well okay. Everyone is in the living room." Molly ushered them into the room. When Hermione and Draco entered, the conversation ceased. All eyes flickered towards Hermione, before settling on Draco. He shifted from foot to foot, clearly uncomfortable. It was Ron who broke the silence.

"Who the hell invited the Death Eater and his traitor?" He fumed. Draco opened his mouth to respond but Hermione placed a hand on his chest. She shook her head before addressing Ron.

"I was invited here Ronald." Hermione said coldly. Ginny and Harry glanced at each other before they stood up.

"Alright you two. We're sick of this fighting. Ron, you and Hermione are going upstairs to talk and work out your problems. Draco, please watch the kids?" Ginny asked kindly. He nodded, taking his daughter over to the other kids.

Hermione irritably followed them up to Ron's room. Harry and Ginny ran out, placing a spell on the door trapping them inside until they had fully made up. Hermione flopped down onto the bed in resentment. Ron went and stood by the window. They ignored each other for about five minutes.

"Why are you so angry with me?" Hermione asked, breaking the silence. He turned around slowly, his face showing disbelief.

"You really don't know, do you? And you said I'm the less emotional one." Ron laughed humorlessly. She faltered, staring at him as if pleading.

"Fine. Hermione, when you broke up with me I was heartbroken-"

"B-But, it was mutual!" Hermione shrieked. He shrugged.

"I wanted you to be happy no matter what, and you wanted to separate. Your exact words were 'take some time to figure things out'." Ron said quietly. He sat down beside her. "That gave me hope that it wasn't forever. And then this stupid life skills class paired me with bloody Lavender Brown and you with Malfoy. I figured me and Lav would make you jealous like before, and you'd be stuck with Malfoy that when I tried to get back together with you you'd welcome me with open arms."

"And then I started to date Draco, and your plan fell apart." Hermione gathered.

"Yeah. Mione, I still have feelings for you." Ron confessed. Hermione felt her heart stop in her chest. She looked at him, her brown eyes locking with his familiar blue eyes.