18. Coming home to not so good news

Hermione felt like she was floating. Not on a cloud, more like in water. Up and down, in an almost nauseating way. Hermione groaned and struggled to open her eyes. Her head and eyelids felt leaden down as she opened them. Once open, her eyes darted around. First, they landed on Draco, who was sleeping in a chair. Second, they flitted to Harry who was talking to McGonagall at the end of the room. It was then she realized she was in the infirmary. Hermione sat up quickly.

"Draco, Draco wake up!" She hissed shaking his arm. He bolted upright, his gray eyes wild.

"What? What is it!?" He stumbled through his speech.

"How did I get here?" She asked straight away. She struggled to remember what happened before she blacked out. All she could remember was dinner then Harry at the door. The rest of the night was a blurred out memory.

Draco's face fell in one swift motion. She noticed his jaw lock. Hermione felt confusion wash over her, wondering why the sudden change in emotion. He closed his eyes and prepared to speak, only to be interrupted by Harry Potter.

"Hermione, you're awake thank goodness." Harry fretted over her right away. He pulled her blanket back over her legs and gently pushed her back into the pillows. Hermione understood he was trying to be nice, but all the same she was irritated.

"Harry, what happened?!" She barked. All the young witch wanted were answers. She hated not knowing.

"Mione, maybe we should take it easy." Harry muttered worriedly, still fretting over the pillows.

Hermione opened her mouth to retort, but Draco beat it to her. He snapped, "Merlin Potter, just tell her."

Harry shot him a dirty look, but complied. "Hermione, last night I received some news..."

She merely stared at him expectantly. "Go on."

"Hermione, yesterday afternoon your parents were in a car accident." Harry said swiftly. It was like beheading someone; one quick, yet brutal swing and it was over. Hermione blinked. Physically, she remained stoic. Mentally, however, she feared the worst.

"H-How bad?" She stuttered. Shakily, she drew in a breath. Only Draco noticed her gripping the bed sheets so fiercely, her knuckles were white. Her brown eyes were emotionless, but her face was ghostly pale.

"You're Mum was in surgery last I checked and your dad had a few minor cuts and bruises and a slight arm fracture." Harry said smoothly. Hermione nodded.

"Surgery? For what?" She asked quickly.

"A few pieces of metal lodged in the shoulder." He replied. Her eyes widened.

"Is she going to be okay?" Hermione asked, her mask finally breaking. The thought of her mother being injured, much less dead was nearly catastrophic. Her breathing stopped as Harry nodded.

"She's going to be fine. Once you're better, I was given orders by McGonagall to take you to them."

"I can do it." Draco piped up. Hermione and Harry's mouths dropped.

Was Draco Malfoy really offering to go into the muggle world, a hospital even? Hell must have been experiencing the Ice Age right about then, because it had officially frozen over. Harry was the first to recover.

"Uh...they are in a muggle hospital." He said dubiously.

Draco scowled. "Thanks Potter, I gathered that."

Harry shrugged and began to look uncomfortable. Hermione glanced between the two men. They stared at each other. Finally, Hermione cleared her throat. "Draco, you can take me. I don't mind."

Harry nodded. "Alright. Hermione, I'm sorry but I have to dash. Gin's alone with Olivia and the twins. Merlin knows what she's done to the them."

Hermione chuckled. Harry kissed her cheek and offered Draco a nod. He stood up and walked away, his cloak swishing out behind him. Hermione watched him leave. When he got to the exit he turned back. His eyes met Draco's and he inclined his head towards Hermione, who watched the exchange warily. Harry left, leaving the couple alone. Madam Pomfrey was in her office, busy with something.

"I was really scared, Mione." Draco whispered, holding her hand and focusing his attention on it.

Hermione smiled softly. "I'm sorry. It was just a shock reaction."

Gently, she pressed her hand against his cheek. He smiled sadly. "Hermione...I love you."

There it was. Draco closed his eyes, unnerved. His thoughts and true feelings were out there. She knew that he loved her. Neither of the two realized it, but at that moment their heart rate sped up tenfold. Draco felt a hand on his chin. His gray eyes met Hermione's brown ones.

"I love you too." She whispered before locking her lips on his.

Two week later, Hermione decided that she may have peaked. She had a fantastic boyfriend, an adorable daughter, and a future in the Ministry as of the earlier afternoon. Yes, Minister Shacklebolt had came personally to tell Hermione that once she graduated, they, the Ministry and general Wizarding population, wanted her, Harry, and Ron to join the Ministry. Hermione was looking into the Magical Law Enforcement division. Kingsley had graciously offered her an internship over the summer, in order to start a paying job in the fall. Ron had declined all offers at the present, preferring to work with George at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. Harry had opted for the Auror department.

Of course, Hermione had been quick to bring up her NEWTs. Kingsley had waved them off, saying, "Oh child, you could get a troll on everything and still get a job." That unnerved her a bit, but deep down Hermione knew that she could easily handle a high powered position probably better than some of the current imbeciles. Fleetingly, she felt remorse for Kingsley. He was obviously still in turmoil, but everyday things got better. Come June, Hermione would be quick to speed up the rebuilding.

Hermione walked into her apartment happily. Snow was falling outside, typical for late January in Scotland. She loved the snow. It was so pure and peaceful. Once inside, she smelled the aroma of stew. It tantalized her as it seemed to swim around her head. Hermione was quite surprised at how vastly Draco had improved on his cooking. To say he was now a bit of a chef was an understatement. Hermione would like to take credit for that, but couldn't. She herself wasn't a very good cook, which Ron and Harry could attest to.

"I'm ho-o-ome!" Hermione chirped, setting her bag on the couch haphazardly. She was greeted with silence, which was odd. "Draco? Livia?" She furrowed her brow as she entered the kitchen.

Oh it was a sight to behold. Draco was sitting at the head, looking particularly grim. As was Professor Tori. Across from her and, who Hermione recognized as Mrs. Klein from the orphanage, was a rather odd looking couple. The woman was smiling broadly, she had curly blonde hair and fake looking eyes. The man was also smiling broadly. He looked as fake as his spouse.

"Hermione, dear, these are Mr. and Mrs. Regis. They're here to adopt Olivia." Draco said tightly. Hermione felt her heart, for the umpteenth time, drop.

"A-Adopt?"