Chapter 11

Suzy put the coffee machine on and bit her lip, wondering at the perfect male specimen sprawled on her too small antique chaise. His head was flopped on a pillow at an awkward angle on the lone arm which was curved and therefore uneven. His dark hair was messy and stood at odd angles. His jaw was slightly open and he was snoring softly.

His jean-clad legs protruded nearly two feet from the other end of her chaise. The black t-shirt had ridden up and as Jake had kicked away the blankets in his sleep, she had an enviable view of tight abs. She could even see the dusting of hair on his stomach, which trailed down under his jeans. It was seven a.m, and he sported a masculine stubble. Suzy gulped as her gaze lingered on the fly of his jeans. Definitely masculine and pretty impressive.

Purely male, utterly sensuous specimen.

Suzy bit her lip again and sighed. Jake was too perfect. So much that, she was pretty sure she would never meet someone like him again. He was damn good-looking with rock-hard abs which put her own squishy stomach to shame.

But, he was a cop. And Suzy could never get involved with one.

Oh God! Only if he wasn't!

She would be jumping his bones right this instant. Suzy wondered how serious Jake was about being a cop. If it was something he always wanted to be or something he had stumbled upon and actually hated to do. Lots of people hated their jobs. He could really want to be a firefighter or something. Or maybe even a male model.

She debated whether she could broach the subject of changing careers with Jake?

Suzy sighed. Probably not. An intense man like Jake was deliberate, he never stumbled upon anything.

She could stare her fill though.

Last night, Jake had been mostly uncommunicative. In terse sentences, he had asked her about the vandalism and she had given the same answers that she had given the other cop. She had asked him repeatedly to take her roll-up bed but he had resolutely gone to the chaise and curled his legs and lay down.

She knew he was uncomfortable because of his tossing and turning, but not once had he grumbled aloud with discomfort. Suzy found his grunting noises as he readjusted himself to the couch oddly comforting. After a quick message to Gwen that she was OK and that Jake was keeping her company, Suzy drifted into a dreamless sleep.

She had gotten up half-an-hour back, cleaned up and started the coffee machine.

She bit her lip and allowed herself another leisurely perusal. Starting from the jean-clad legs, noting the tightness of the jeans, to his flat stomach peeking out, to his impressive chest. Then finally, her almost loving gaze landed on Jake's face.

Pale blue eyes were staring back at her with a quirked eyebrow. She startled and swallowed.

"Good morning Suze." Jake sat up. "See anything you like?"

#

Tamara made them coffee and breakfast and Bert sat down on the dining chair obediently, scarfing down an everything bagel. He was hungry and tired and cranky.

"I really need to start my phone back up. I need to contact my family." Like a petulant child, he addressed Tamara.

Tamara who was dressed in a smock that came up to her knees, sighed and stood up.

"You know you can't, Bert." She sighed and walked to the kitchen. Bert followed her inside.

"I'll go mad, cooped in here all day. And I need to tell my family that I'm alright."

Tamara turned to him, her red fingernail tapping her chin.

"Well, if it's so important for you, I'll take them a note. What do you have, a wife and kids?"