Chapter 22

"When we get out of this shit, we'll go away somewhere. I'll learn a trade and you'll take care of our three children."

Chloe laughed. "Only three?"

Rob kissed the back of her hand. He couldn't believe this beautiful woman was in his arms. She looked lovelier with each passing day, because every day he felt deeper in love with her. And yes, this was love, he wasn't a green lad who would confuse love with lust.

He was sure his mom would like Chloe, well, provided she didn't know her past profession. Suzy, he was less sure about, but she would come around eventually.

"Have you been in love before?" He kissed her earlobe and asked her softly.

"Well, I got out of a relationship just a few months back. But we weren't serious. Jake, my ex, wasn't happy with my job."

He scoffed. "Well, no shit. Who would want to be with a hooker?"

When Chloe leveled him with a scowl, he realized his gaffe. "Hey, I'm sorry. But it's true. No man can deal with his woman sleeping around."

Chloe took a deep breath. "So, it's ok for men to do it, but not women? If a guy is in a dangerous profession, say, like James Bond, he can sleep around but the woman can't?"

She was pissed, and man, did she look adorable! "Well, the short answer is yes. No man will ever stand to share. And frankly, no woman will stand to share either. And did you just compare yourself to James Bond?" He chuckled, "As far as I know, he wasn't a whore."

Chloe's look turned guarded and he cupped her face to assure her. "Look, I promise you, you never will have to sell your body again. We may have to struggle for a bit, but we'll get there. You have to believe that."

She sighed and whispered. "I'm getting too old to be a street-walker."

"But you'll be a wonderful wife and hopefully, after some time a mother. It would be a different sort of an adventure."

"Was that a proposal?" Chloe sat up and he kissed her knuckles.

"Well, you should know by now that I'm pretty damn serious about you."

She gave him a sad smile. "Yes, and I do want to have an adventure with you. I'll get you away from this scot-free, I promise. Just wait for Thanksgiving, we'll catch a train from Grand Central and disappear from here forever."

#

"I can't wait for Thanksgiving, I could really use a break." Suzy sighed, leaning onto Jake's shoulder. They were walking hand in hand, and the walk seemed shorter every single time they took it. He was such a good guy, caring, patient, kind.

And hot. Don't forget hot.

"How are things working out with Frank at the cafe?"

"Oh, he's perfect! I think I can now actually take a break and no one would notice. And I'm so lucky, both he and Shay don't plan to be out of town for the holidays, so I can actually take a couple of days off after Thanksgiving!"

After a pause, she said, "I'm really looking forward to meeting your family, Jake! It's been so long! Your mom, Sophie, Jonah, oh and Sophie's adorable twins!"

"Yes, but I should warn you, they're a handful." Jake laughed. "And my family is dying to meet you all, as well."

"What about your brother, Rob? He's not coming over for Thanksgiving?"

"Oh no," Suzy said quickly. "He's busy with his internship upstate. He won't be able to get away."

"What are your mom's plans? Will she be staying with you after Thanksgiving?" Suzy almost sighed with relief as Jake changed the subject. They had steered clear of uncomfortable topics so far and she was praying this reprieve would last for a really long time.